1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bluescreen bootup, ext hdd backup, reformatting and more. HELP.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mockey, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mockey

Mockey Thread Starter

Yesterday night I scheduled a disk check before I went to bed and when I woke up I found my computer stuck on a loop of loading to the end of the green bar to a blank screen then flashing to a c000021a system error blue screen and then it proceeded to repeat this. I tried booting into safe mode the next time and it would load the wall of files/text then hit a
    blank screen, blue screen with the error, and then restart. I was sick of this so I decided to backup
    my files using the system recovery tool on startup, but my harddrive only says it has space after you put in the password which I can't do using the system recovery tool. I'm stumped as to what I can do to fix this or at least get my important files before I reformat. I've also thought of taking out my normal harddrive and plugging it into another computer, but I don't have any available computers to do this with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Why did you schedule a disk check was there something not right with the PC?

Is this a laptop desktop and did you get any discs with it?

3. Mockey

Mockey Thread Starter

I scheduled a disk check because maybe a month earlier I was getting disk errors regularly so after I fixed that. I just regularly started disk checking maybe once a week so it wouldn't happen. This is around a 4 year old desktop. I don't really know the specs at the top of my head, but the os is vista 32 bit.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Understood...

First no need to run disk check that often unless something is wrong with the hard drive.

Did you get any discs with the PC?

5. Mockey

Mockey Thread Starter

No it didn't come with any discs to boot it from

6. Megabite

Megabite

It is possible the Hard drive is dying or died.If you know anyone with the Vista disc then you can try a Startup repair however this may not work as the hard drive problem.

You can try burn this free operating system to Disc and see if that can access the hard drive. The OS runs direct from the CD. Backing up important data is very important.

Go here and then click on Download tab.

If this loads and it does not work your Hard drive may be faulty.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

7. Mockey

Mockey Thread Starter

Hmm. I'm guessing I need to burn it with another computer.. Which I don't have. If the hard drive is dead does that mean all my files are gone as well?

8. Megabite

Megabite

If the hard has problems you may still get to your files ....the Hard drive is still spinning so that is good news at-least.

You can try the 2 suggestions of mine and also you can put it on another PC as a spare Hard drive and see if you can get to the files. I would suggest not to do anymore check disk until you have removed your files if you can get to them.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice