1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bluescreen of death at start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computerwiz5, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computerwiz5

computerwiz5 Thread Starter

I turned my computer on today and its goes through the xp splash screen but then displays a blue screen then reboots automatically. I dont have enough time to read it but i saw something about a dump (memory dump?)

Is there a log i can look at?

What should i do, i think its hardware. I did a virus scan, and spyware, nothing works. Right now im in safemode.

Need help please,

Danny

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Sounds like a memory dump....

Memory Dump Files
    When a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional writes information to the paging file (Pagefile.sys) on the systemdrive root by default. When you restart the computer in normal or safe mode after a Stop error occurs, Windows XP Professional uses paging file information to create a memory dump file in the systemroot folder. Analyzing the dump file can help provide more information about the root cause of a problem and enables offline analysis by using tools run on another computer. You can configure your system to generate one of three different types of dump files.

More about it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_mncs.asp

3. computerwiz5

thanks a lot, how do i fix it though, i dont know anything about this and the article is confussing me

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Basically it means that something in the computer has failed. The blue screen with the error message, the memory dump, records the information that may help identify why your computer has stopped unexpectedly.

You have to be able to read the dump file to know where the problem is occurring...

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=315263

Have you recently installed anything new in the computer?

5. computerwiz5

i did a system restore and everythign is ok

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice