1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BlueScreen - Windows7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BlueQuartz, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlueQuartz

BlueQuartz Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

would be grateful for some help diagnosing and fixing some bluescreens I have recently started getting.

I have windows 7 home premium fully up to date with patches etc.

My system is a home build with the following components:

Q6600 quadcore processore overclocked @ 3.20 Ghz, ASUS Arctic Square CPU Cooler, LG Flatron W2261V monitor, ASUS GT8800 512 mb (using latest NVIDIA drivers not ASUS drivers), ASUS PQ5 Dxe Mobo, 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2, Tagan BZ 600w PSU, Nzxt Lexa case, Freecome Esata 1TB external drive, Win7 64 Bit, 300 Gb SATA (windows drive) + 500GB SATA slave drive, Linksys wireless N router. I have three PCS hardwired to the router plus a printer and a netbook and two laptops plus a Wii, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP and a mobile phone connecting wirelessly (not all at the same time!)

Generally it has been running smoothly - the usb microsoft intellimouse stopped responding a few times recently whilst playing games - but unplugging it and reinserting it solved that problem.

The Blue screens have happened a couple of times recently – I was unable to boot up and windows was unable to fix the problem. I googles on my laptop and tried the following - I used command prompt to scan and repair the disc (CHKDSKC: /F /R) and checked for any problems with windows SFC / scannow . Also ran memory test and all was clear.

The problem was not resolved – however after a while it just booted up as normal. Was playing borderlands last night and was running well – however got a BSOD on boot up again this morning – different error messages – as below.

I have the mini dump file and the other file mentioned below but they are no help to me because I do not understand them.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 1000007e
    BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF80002C8753F
    BCP3: FFFFF880031C6888
    BCP4: FFFFF880031C60E0
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\040310-35677-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-103803-0.sysdata.xml

System is used for a variety of things but mostly gaming, surfing and word processing.

I just double checked the overclock on the CPU and it seems to have defaulted to 2.4 Ghz.

I would be grateful for your help with this.

Many Thanks

Andrew

2. Snuffy1

Snuffy1

Your BCCode: 1000007e

Win7 BSOD BCCode: 1000007e IRQL_NOT_OR_Less

Normally that indicates you have a SCREWED UP DRIVER or unsigned driver or non compatible Driver.
    other wise you have a Driver problem...

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is the problem continuing after the overclock reset? I would suspect the overclocking to be the source of the problem -- probably heat related.

Also upload the minidumps for the BSODs. However keep in mind that BSODs caused by overclocking will not likely be seen as anything other than "memory management" fault, probably with different system drivers, without flagging a 3rd party driver.

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

4. BlueQuartz

I really appreciate the advice - thank you.

I had to try and boot up about 50 times before the pc could get into windoes today - was very frustrating!

The motherboard has a linux os built in which boots up immediately - and gives you the option to boot into linux or the installed operating system (win 7 in my case).

I could boot into the linux os sometimes but on other occasions the pc just blue screened and rebooted.

I have now uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and contol panel and let windows install the default drivers ....... and the pc is not crashing ............... so far.

I checked for overheating but booting into the BIOS and looking at the temperatures showed they were fine.

Mind you, have had a few Blue Screens stating the BIOS is out of date - it isn't.

Anyway (fingers crossed, because in my experience once you get one probem another follows quickly) - the generic drivers seem to have fixed the problem.

Won't count this as a problem solved for a few days because it will probably all go horrobly wrong agaoin.

Here's the minidump file.

Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

Cheers

Andrew

5. Snuffy1

Snuffy1

I think that indicates it is TIME TO CHANGE THE BATTERY.....

6. BlueQuartz

Well, I woke up this morning and the blues were back .....

P.C. had been left running overnight and I woke to find it had rebooted itself but been unable to start - options asking if I wanted windows to fix it - tried system restore and that seemed to work, however just as I was writing an email it bluescreened again.

It was running fine yesterday after the driver change.

During the night I have microsoft security essentials set to do a scan and NTI Shadow3 set do back up my
    second drive to my external drive.

Here are the error messages and the minidumps:

Problem signature:

BCCode: 1e
    BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF80002F77389
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000030

C:\Windows\Minidump\040510-29858-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-72914-0.sysdata.xml

Problem signature:

BCCode: 3b
    BCP1: 00000000C0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF80002FD6CFE
    BCP3: FFFFF88005009070
    BCP4: 0000000000000000

C:\Windows\Minidump\040510-37736-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-475881-0.sysdata.xml

*Edit* I forgot to say that the motherboard is only a month or two old so don't think it would be the battery.

Other error messages -that I got before changing the graphics drivers included these:

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant please contact your vendor for an updated BIOS and Stop: Bad_pool_caller

Thanks

Andrdew

Attached Files:

7. BlueQuartz

After another crash I ran windows memory test and it said there was a hardware fault and to contact the computer vendor.

I am currently running mem test which found no problems on the first run but I am leaving it running and have gone out for the day.

Will see what it says when I return.

Cheers

Andrew

8. Snuffy1

Snuffy1

From all indications that I can find...
    1. your having amemory problem or
    2. your having a Video Problem.

Every reference I can find from XP to Win 7 refer to #1 or #2. also the majority of the BSOD or BlkSOD are x64 related.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. BlueQuartz

Hi again,

thank you for taking the trouble to give me advice.

I ran mem test from a bootable CD for ten and a half hours with no errors found - so despite what windows memory checker found the memory seems to be OK. I'm presuming that memtest is more rigorous?

On the other hand windows did find a hardware fault - I wonder what that was.

Will take the advice about clean booting and have a bash tomorrow.

many thanks

Andrew

11. BlueQuartz

Well I haven't tried the clean boot yet - however given the USB mouse problem (occasionaly powering off) I downloaded the latest intellimouse drivers last night and have not had a Blue screen since then.

Bizarrely, my mouse is still locking up occasionally.

Will keep you posted

Many Thanks

Andrew

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okeydokey, good luck!

13. BlueQuartz

Mouse (Usb Intellimouse) continued to freeze and to lock up intermittently - thought it might be the actual USB port itself, but it is also a nearly new motherboard whereas the mouse was about 6 years old (and I must say I would highly recommed it given the hammering it has received) - anyway - have swapped it for an intellimouse explorer 3.00 I had on another PC and all continues to be well - i.e. no blue screens or crashesa nd no mouse lockups.

I think the old mouse was on its way out.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers

Andrew

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the problem is very intermittent, and the mouse proves not to be the issue -- overheating could be another issue to look at.

It seems unlikely to be the mouse -- but I've been around long enough to know better than to rule anything out :)

Overclocking could have been the cause of the early problems -- and if severe, one has to consider possible heat damage to the CPU.

15. BlueQuartz

I continue to appreciate your help - thank you.

I know - a faulty mouse does sounds unlikely - but so far so good.

Am going to put the overclock back on in a day or two so that should be interesting! The case and my CPU cooler should be able to handle the overclock but ....... who knows.

Will keep my fingers crossed that I am not back next week!

Thank you

Andrew

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice