1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

?? -- bluetooth headphones and dongles??

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by GrannyGamer, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrannyGamer

GrannyGamer Thread Starter

I enjoy listening to Internet radio via my wireless headphones but I *think* I'd like to switch to Bluetooth, mainly because I want a smaller and lighter weight headset.

I've been doing some research but before I make a purchase, I'd like to be sure I got this right. Here's what I THINK I need to do:

1) I need a "dongle" that goes into my USB port. (I saw one called "IOGear Enhanced Data Rate Bluetooth USB Adapter" that got fairly good ratings on Amazon")

2) I need a pair of Bluetooth headphones. (my pick: Motorola S305 MOTOROKR Stereo Bluetooth Headphones)

3) Just follow the mfg instructions and set it all up.

HOWEVER -- does this work on every computer? (Mine is a new Dell Vostro 420 desktop running Windows XP pro). Does the computer itself have to be "bluetooth ready?" or anything special?

ALSO, while researching the topic, I saw a lot of discussion about "stacks" but I couldn't figure out what they were talking about. Is that something else I have to buy?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a link to a good BASIC (non-techie) page that explains all this.

Barbara

2. Marbleman

Marbleman

You can use a USB BT dongle with virtually any XP or Vista computer. Just install the BT drivers from the disc that comes with the dongle, (may require a restart), then plug in the dongle..it will be auto detected. You can then configure the settings for computer name, security, connections, types of services for the BT eg. A2DP for streaming audio, HID for BT mice, OBEX for file transfers etc etc.

Then you can pair your BT headset with the computer. You'll need to enter a passkey for authorization; if the manufacturer has preset one for the device, it will be mentioned in the documentation. Set the headphones to auto-connect for future sessions so you don't need to go through the authorization stage each time.

Please note that XP doesn't handle BT all that well...in the last 3-4 years, I've tried numerous BT devices with XP, and all have given me some sort of issue or the other. The best luck I had was with a tiny Asus USB BT dongle and a Samsung BT headset....both worked nearly flawlessly. Vista is much better with regard to handling BT.

IMHO, BT is not a properly written/implemented protocol..never seems to work as it should with either computers, phones or headsets. Always needs some tweaking/fiddling to get it right. Or maybe I just have bad luck with BT :D

I hope your setup goes smoothly
    Good luck :)

As for BT Stack
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_stack
    It is broadly analogous to a driver, or base software that controls the BT functions on the PC. For XP systems, the most common are the Microsoft and Toshiba BT stacks. IMHO, the MS stack is quite basic, but more reliable. The Toshiba stack supports more services by default, but can be temperamental. I may be wrong about this, and will gladly stand corrected. Anyway, install the software that came with your device.

3. GrannyGamer

GrannyGamer Thread Starter

Thanks, Marbleman ... it sounds easy enough but I'll give your warnings a bit of thought. I may be able to find a newer model traditional wireless headset that will offer the size and light weight I want without the hassle of BT. I also realized, after reading your response, that the biggest drawback with the BT setup would be that I couldn't simply disconnect the headphone transmitter and use with a different device (my stereo, etc.).

I'm very glad I waited until I got a response before rushing out and buying it. At least now I can make an informed decision. Thanks!

Barbara

4. Marbleman

Marbleman

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.:)

Well, the USB BT dongles work only with computers, however, I believe there are BT transmitters available for many other devices that plug into the headphone socket of the audio device. You can then stream music to a BT headset.
    Eg.http://www.amazon.com/Iogear-WIRELESS-BLUETOOTH-AUDIO-GMA201/dp/B000BH0X5O
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Adapter-Players/dp/B000P9CEVO/ref=pd_sim_dbs_e_2

Also, you can use the BT headset itself with any other BT device too Eg. cell phone or MP3 player that supports BT hands-free or audio streaming. You'll simply need to pair it with each one individually. It's just that you cannot use the headset simultaneously with 2 BT devices (most headsets don't support simultaneous connections, but I believe a few do). As long as you disconnect from one and then connect to another, it should work fine.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!