1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David McKeal, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David McKeal

David McKeal Thread Starter

I recently added a 320 Plantronics head set to my computer array along with a generic Bluetooth USB adapter so I can listen to MLB (baseball). I got the pairing done successfully and the tests work as do all Windows beeps etc. However, I cannot hear other sounds that normally come thru my speakers such as baseball, music etc that play thru Windows Media Player. Any suggestions? The Bluetooth adapter does not specify Vista (my op sys), but since I hear the Windows chimes etc, shouldn't I also hear everything else? Thanks.

Dave
    [email protected]

2. tex0gen

tex0gen

I didnt think it was possible to make live sounds travel into a bluetooth headset?

3. Rivera42

Rivera42

Your Bluetooth headset needs to include support for that service or profile. In Windows Explorer, go to My Bluetooth Places and click View Devices In Range. Each device will appear with one or more icons for the applicable supported services. You can also select your device and click "Discover Services." Also, click "View or Modify Configuration" and make sure you've enabled all services.

You may need to look under your computer's Bluetooth services for "Headset" service, which redirects the computer's audio to the BT device. Be aware that some single-ear BT earpieces may not include support for all audio, just PC-based "phone" calls / messaging services. You might need to purchase a stereo BT headset or one that is marked as supporting Bluetooth-enabled music players/PCs.

One other thing to check. If you use Firefox, you may need the Windows Media Player plugin.

4. David McKeal

Thanks for the reply. I wound up taking my "bargain" USB adapter back and buying one from IOGear. It worked fine with the 320 Plantronics earpiece, transfering all sounds, mp3, streaming audio, Window wavs etc. I get a little hiss on 's" sounds but I guess this is the fault of the earpiece. Am I correct?

My only remaining question is can I listen to both the earpiece and the laptop's internal speakers at the same time? I am able to change from one to the other by rightclicking the audio icon in the system tray and setting the appropriate device as the default, but this only gives me sound from the one source, even though the other sources indicate that they are "working", there is no sound coming from them, nor is there anything showing on their soundbar. BTW, the IOGear manual seems to indicate that you do have to choose one of the other.

I looked in Sound on Control Panel but this gave me the same choices as right clicking on the audio icon in the system tray.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help.
    Dave

5. Rivera42

Rivera42

My instinct is that unless you have dual audio output, you probably can run your sound through only one output device at a time, like the way plugging headphones into a radio disables the speakers.

There probably is a way to enable dual audio outputs, but that's beyond my experience level. To extend the previous illustration, devices exist which allow 2 sets of headphones to connect to one radio, so I'd guess there is an equivalent technology for computers.

Make sure your Bluetooth software and all relevant device drivers are up to date.

6. David McKeal

Just for the record, I ran the dual audio output question by IOGear and got basically the same answer, i.e. that they knew of no way to have the sound come thru both the ear piece and the internal speakers. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Dave

7. Rivera42

Rivera42

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice