Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluetooth Not Working

Solved 
1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Gr3iz 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a "WAVLINK Bluetooth CSR 4.0 Dongle" for my computer, with the ultimate intention to transfer photos from a smartphone to the computer. I have had no success in doing so. Here are the pertinent facts:

*The package that the dongle came in said on the back that it is compatible with operating systems from Windows98 (???) all the way up to Windows 7/8.
*On the Ebay webpage, it DID include Windows 10.
*I DID turn the Windows 10 settings to "ON" for the bluetooth option.
*I DID turn the bluetooth and visibility options to "ON" on the smartphone, yet it never detected the phone.
*I DID attempt to update the drives via "device manager", and tried both "search automatically for drivers" and the "browse my computer for drivers" options.
****My motherboard is at least 10 years old, and offers no drivers beyond Windows 8 on its manufacturing website.****

The other day, when I tried to pair an old flip phone with the computer, the phone sensed the computer bluetooth dongle and prompted me to enter a PIN, while the computer generated the PIN. While entering the PIN in the flip phone, the flip phone icon disappeared from the listed devices (on the computer). I have never been able to reproduce a reciprocal recognition between the computer and flip phone since. I originally thought the it was due to the motherboard being 85 years old, but I'm suspected that the dongle is defective. As for the smartphone, the computer does not even recognized it's presence, even though the smartphone's bluetooth and visibility options are switched to "ON". Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is?

See less See more
#5 ·
Is this an Android or iPhone? Usually you can attach an Android phone with a USB data cable (not just a charging cable, they don't have the data lines, only power) and transfer files. I don't have any i* devices, so I can't speak for them, but I'm sure it's more complicated.

Alternatively, if the photos are on a memory card, you can remove that from the phone (again, probably not an option with iPhones) and use a card USB adapter to copy data one way or the other (that's how I put music on my phone).

#9 ·
Is this an Android or iPhone? Usually you can attach an Android phone with a USB data cable (not just a charging cable, they don't have the data lines, only power) and transfer files. I don't have any i* devices, so I can't speak for them, but I'm sure it's more complicated.
For iPhones, you just connect the cable and then allow the connection on the phone. From there, it's in the File Explorer.

Though i never tried bluetooth... i just did and on my phone it found my computer, then I clicked on it to connect/pair and this showed up:

Blue Font Rectangle Screenshot Number

Once connected, it did not give me any option to view my files. It looks like it was connecting to my phone so maybe using some phone software with it?

So as of right now, you would need to use a data cable for an iPhone to transfer, which is the easiest way:

Liquid Rectangle Font Circle Brand

downside is that the files are jumbled... and any live photos may not copy over properly, depending on the program you use.

#6 ·
I guessing that old flip phone doesn't use a USB cable to charge. My husband's old flip use a barrel type charger attached to a plug. There is no way to attach his phone to the computer.

I just got him a new flip phone and that one attaches to a PC. (Save's me headaches)

#7 ·
transfer photos from a smartphone to the computer
Liz, I was operating under the impression that we were talking about a smartphone ... I didn't know flip phones took pictures (having never had one).

#8 ·
The latest one I got for my husband has a camera. Now he doesn't have to borrow my phone or tablet when he wants to take a picture!
LG Classic flip is a Tracfone with a camera. We practiced the other night because the phone is new for him.
(I have to read the manual, learn the device then I hand it to him and show him what to do). Texting it out because on a flip phone every key has 3 letters. If you want to text you might have to press a number key 1, 2 or 3 times to get the letter you want. It is painful!!!

#12 ·
Hopefully your antivirus software will check any downloads. You can also check it with your A/V once you've downloaded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.