1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bluetooth Over Wifi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AFriendlyMan, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AFriendlyMan

AFriendlyMan Thread Starter

Hello friendly Techguy community.

I have this fancy Bluetooth keyboard with a built in mouse pad for my stationary desktop computer, and I am trying to use it over a range that it can't particularly handle.

My question is there a way to possible solve this issue by sending the signal over my wifi router? such as an adapter set that I can be attached to the sender and receiver of my keyboard?

Any other suggestions to solve this problem are also welcomed.

Thanks!

- Friendly man

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

How far away are you trying to use it?? Even a wireless adapter won't work much over 3-4 meters.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Among different bluetooth specifications, there are 2 most popular classes (types) of devices:
    Class 1: range up to 100 meters (in most cases 20-30 meters)
    Class 2: range up to 30 meters (in most cases 5-10 meters)

So the "poorest" can handle 5 meters or a bit more than 5 yards. Surely you can place the keyboard within 15 feet of the desktop computer.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could try using a Usb extension cable (female to male) and plug the Usb receiver dongle into that to bring it closer to the PC.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    We don't know if the desktop computer is using a USB bluetooth dongle. It could have bluetooth built in as do several of my computers. Unfortunately, the OP gave little info about the computer and bluetooth keyboard hardware he is using.

6. vembutech

vembutech Banned

I think it is not possible bluetooth devices use completely different modulation techniques, if the modulation techniques are the same then maybe it's still possible to use bluetooth over wifi but not sure.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I have never seen anything that mentions it in all the time I've been using PCs !

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the odds are in my favour. ;) Perhaps he will tell us and end the suspense. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice