Bluetooth Over Wifi?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AFriendlyMan

Hello friendly Techguy community.

I have this fancy Bluetooth keyboard with a built in mouse pad for my stationary desktop computer, and I am trying to use it over a range that it can't particularly handle.

My question is there a way to possible solve this issue by sending the signal over my wifi router? such as an adapter set that I can be attached to the sender and receiver of my keyboard?

Any other suggestions to solve this problem are also welcomed.

Thanks!

- Friendly man

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
How far away are you trying to use it?? Even a wireless adapter won't work much over 3-4 meters.

plodr

Liz
Among different bluetooth specifications, there are 2 most popular classes (types) of devices:
Class 1: range up to 100 meters (in most cases 20-30 meters)
Class 2: range up to 30 meters (in most cases 5-10 meters)

So the "poorest" can handle 5 meters or a bit more than 5 yards. Surely you can place the keyboard within 15 feet of the desktop computer.

managed

Allan
You could try using a Usb extension cable (female to male) and plug the Usb receiver dongle into that to bring it closer to the PC.

plodr

Liz
We don't know if the desktop computer is using a USB bluetooth dongle. It could have bluetooth built in as do several of my computers. Unfortunately, the OP gave little info about the computer and bluetooth keyboard hardware he is using.

vembutech

Banned
I think it is not possible bluetooth devices use completely different modulation techniques, if the modulation techniques are the same then maybe it's still possible to use bluetooth over wifi but not sure.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
I have never seen anything that mentions it in all the time I've been using PCs !

managed

Allan
We don't know if the desktop computer is using a USB bluetooth dongle. It could have bluetooth built in as do several of my computers. Unfortunately, the OP gave little info about the computer and bluetooth keyboard hardware he is using.
I think the odds are in my favour. ;) Perhaps he will tell us and end the suspense. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online