1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bluetooth range

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plschwartz, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

I want to port my bluetooth headset from my cellphone to PC for use with Skype.
    The headset is I guess class 3 - 10 meter range.
    Is there any advantage to getting a class 1 dongle for the PC? What effect will it have on range?
    Thanks
    PL

2. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

Not sure what the question is here really, most dongles are 1.1 compliant now anyway a grade 1 is more or less 100m range now depending on the price, which varies very little so the 100m would be my choice anyway. I run the Belkin F8T001 with my phone no problems at all. Your biggest problem is the phone as some of the older Bluetooth enabled ones could be a bit picky as to the dongles they connect to if they where not Data enabled. Rare though.

3. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply bob:
    My question is is it worth paying for the extra range in the dongle if headset has a more limited range.
    As I think about it since both parts of a bluetooth communication send and recieve signals the total range would be limited by the weakest devise No?

I will most likely spring for the class 1 dongle in case some future purchase has a longer range.
    I have been using Skype more and more for calls -anything outside my local calling area.
    I hope ther bluetooth lets me wander from my puter.
    I do not have a bluetooth cellphone but maybe will buy a transmitter for the phone rather then investing in a blurtooth phone.

I will sepatarely post about a voice-activated dialling program for Skype once I get things going.

4. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

If cost is an issue then sure go for the cheaper option but a few $ is not going to kill you. I would go for the 100m option anyway because Bluetooth has other advantages like I can send files etc from the PC upstairs to the one downstairs, they are paired up so its quite secure. Not much point getting the cheaper option if you intend buying a better headset in the future.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice