1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blunt Question from A Newbie

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pilgrim57, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pilgrim57

pilgrim57 Thread Starter

I recently had to have my Dell Dimension reformatted for several reasons. The tech who did the reformat put it back to factory specs at my request. When downloading and installing the Windows updates and patches, he suggested that I ignore the most recent one for NVIDIA. He stated that it had caused a lot of problems for some of his other customers.
    I do not know enough about computers to know if his advice is correct...so I asked two friends--yep, two different answers on what I should do!

I do want to mention that I had downloaded and installed it just prior to having the reformat done and it did seem to make things worse.

I use XPHome...the only additional software I use is AdAware, Avast! Antivirus, and ZA free firewall.

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you!
    pilgrim

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

If thats all you use: No. You dont need any of the updates, unless you are having problems.

3. rude

rude

A good time to ignore the advice "If it ain't broke...fix it till it is"

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I always strenuously ignore any Microsoft updates for video cards.

They are generic and often not well suited to specific hardware.
    If you feel a compelling need to update the video card drivers, then source the update from Dell, who will have tested it. Or from the maker of your exact video card.

But not from MS.

5. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

You said it, Kiwiguy. Get your new hardware drivers from the manufacturer. BTW, Pilgrim57, I found out the Dell website is way behind on NVIDIA drivers. I went to NVIDEA's site and updated my card last night.

6. pilgrim57

pilgrim57 Thread Starter

My thanks to those who replied...
    I will leave things as they are for now since playing around with too much contributed to the "Great Crash!"

I am learning so much just from reading the posts and replies...this is really a grand forum!

pilgrim

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

If you do end up updating, go straight to the source: Nvidia.

8. pilgrim57

pilgrim57 Thread Starter

thank you! That's what I will do...
    is it necessary for me to do an update, though?
    are there problems I should be looking for--or rather, be seeing? everything seems to be all right.
    pilgrim

9. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Don't fix it if it's not broken.

10. roban

roban

An update to your video drivers is not necessary unless you have a problem. Video drivers can be the source of many computer problems. The best advice given here is "if it ain't broke......"

11. pilgrim57

pilgrim57 Thread Starter

smiling here...thank you for being blunt!
    I will leave it alone then.

peace,
    pilgrim

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice