1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blurry Computer Monitor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by michigan73, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michigan73

michigan73 Thread Starter

I updated windows today and then my computer monitor become blurry. I have not been able to fix this. any suggestions? Of note, when i unplug it, it becomes clear for a second and then becomes blurry again.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Is it blurry in Safemode.......tap F8 on startup and choose safemode and see if it is still blurry

3. michigan73

No...it is not blurry in the safe mode.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Ok check in Device Manager go Start>>right click My Computer then Properties then Hardware then Device Manager and see if there is a warnings signs next to Display Adapters and also click on it and see what it says like this device is working properly

5. michigan73

It seems to be working properly.

6. kronus

kronus

CRT or LCD?

7. michigan73

sorry I don't know the difference.

8. michigan73

Just looked it up...it is a CRT.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

do you have the video card drivers on cd and I know its a Dell but what model is it?

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

I don't know if what is causing the the CRT to go "blurry" is something like "stealing focus", but if it may be caused by it then TweakUI available at Microsoft (freeware tool) has a check box to prevent it.

Get it here for WinXP: TweakUI:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

There is also a Win98 version available.

-- Tom

11. michigan73

It is a dell dimension 2300. I don't know if I have a video card driver on cd

12. kronus

kronus

My solution is very dangerous. If the monitor is still under warranty, call dell. If not, and you have guts and a steady screwdriver hand, try this. Turn the computer and monitor off and disconnect from the wall. Open the back of the monitor housing. There are more screws than you think, don't force it, look for more screws. Somewhere inside there is a little knob, maybe two, one controls the focus, and the other controls the brightness. I've done this tree times and haven't died, but that doesn't make it safe. Even with no power, this could kill you. Now the trick here is to accurately focus the monitor, it needs to be on and running windows. And it's as simple as turning the dial until you get the focus you need, and putting the housing back on. Did I say that this is not recommended? Maybe you should take it to a shop.

They really need to make those things accessible. People throw out perfectly good monitors for no reason.

13. bonk

bonk Banned

14. michigan73

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't try the "dangerous" suggestions...yet!..no I'll probably will have to take it in.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460883