1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blutooth Speaker Error Code 28

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Philen, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Philen

Philen Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I have a TEAC BC09 bluetooth speaker connected to Windows 7 laptop via USB cable.
    The speaker is listed in 'Devices and Printers' folder.
    Troubleshooting required - No installed drivers for this device.
    I select 'Update Driver' and no driver is available.
    I search the internet and no driver is available.

But I know that the device works correctly because it is installed on my father's laptop.
    He says he never needed any drivers; he just plugged in and it began working.

Help please.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Blutooth doesn't require a USB cable.

Does your laptop have Blutooth? If so, is it turned on?
    Blutooth devices need to be paired - again NO CABLE.

When I pair a blutooth keyboard (I don't own a blutooth speaker), I get a code that I need to type in to pair the keyboard to either a Win 7 laptop or an android tablet.

TEAC doesn't list BC09; I suspect that is not the model but rather a specification because I found lots of blutooth devices that say BC09.
    https://www.amazon.com/Morjava-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Car-Kit/dp/B01CRVBRHO

Here's what TEAC shows for bluetooth
    http://www.teac.com/products/bluetooth/
    and those are more than speakers.

Here's legacy
    http://www.teac.com/legacy/

Here's all their products.
    http://www.teac.com/products/all/

I can't find anything that looks like a bluetooth speaker.

3. Philen

Philen Thread Starter

Thanks @plodr
    Here are some photos of the product ... 20180219_131040.jpg 20180219_131023.jpg 20180219_131040.jpg

I contacted TEAC and they told me this is a 'non US' product so I should contact the 'non US' distributor for information.
    The product was bought in South Africa, imported from China, and distributed via Hi Fi Corporation, who are merely wholesale importers and distributors, and they have no technical or support department. Neither does China.
    This is my reason for asking this question on this forum.

Now, to respond to your other questions:
    I am aware of what Bluetooth is. The device comes with a USB connector purely for power purposes. Whether I plug this into the laptop or into the wall is irrelevant; the result is the same ...
    My laptop sees the device and pairs with it. I see my device listed under 'Printers and Devices' as 'TEAC BC09 Bluetooth Headset'.
    But there is a 'troubleshooting required' icon over my device.
    When I troubleshoot, I am told there is no driver installed, and no driver can be found.
    I am given a Code 28 error.

I am aware of the research you did online, because I mentioned doing this research myself, in my original post.

I am asking for help because this device worked on my father's laptop - windows 8.1. - without needing a driver; he just connected it as a bluetooth device, and it worked.
    And I am able to use it without any requested drivers, with my android smartphone and iPhone.

I'm not sure what the trouble is regarding my laptop and a supposed driver that is needed - which is not needed way father's laptop.

This is my reason for seeking help.
    I'm not a tech genius. But I'm not an idiot who needs to 'switch on bluetooth'.
    I've done all the basic and intermediate stuff, and I'm still stuck.
    So I'm hoping there's someone here with more advanced knowledge.

If there is ... Please help.
    Thank you

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I did not post to insult you. This was your first post here. As a volunteer supporter, I have no way of knowing the level of expertise that someone who posts has, so to save time, I post things that might have been overlooked.

I've had my share of poster who bought a bluetooth device and couldn't get it to work. Later it was discovered that the PC/laptop did not have bluetooth.

Does the 8.1 identify the device as a headset rather than a speaker?

What happens if you don't plug in the USB connector? Does it show up anywhere?

You may never get it to work on your laptop. It does say it is for Apple, some Android, Blackberries, phones and tablets.
    Not sure what speakerphone for mobile conversation is.

No TEAC devices any longer
    https://www.hificorp.co.za/tv-s-audio-electronics/audio

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  5. Philen

Philen Thread Starter

Thanks @plodr
    Sorry if I came across ungrateful.
    Back to your questions ...

If I don't plug in the USB connector, I get the same result. My laptop sees the TEAC device and pairs with it as 'TEAC BC09 Bluetooth Headset'. But I still get the yellow exclamation mark on the icon, indicating that troubleshooting is needed.
    So I've ruled that out.

And I'm not sure whether the device shows up on Windows 8.1 as speaker or headset. To be honest when I saw it work on one windows laptop, without any drivers, I assumed that I'd have no trouble installing it on another. So I did not check.
    And now that I've left the country and my father's laptop, I have no way of checking whether the icon shows as 'speaker' or 'headset'.

I thought maybe the speaker self-installs on the first computer it is connected to, which is how it worked for my dad but not for me. But he has used it on 2 windows laptops at work, plus his new laptop at home. So it has connected to all 3 of his laptops without ever asking for drivers or anything else.
    And it's because of this that I'm thinking there is something to do specifically with windows 7 that is the problem. And if so, I'm hoping there's someone with this knowledge.
    Like maybe there's some 'universal driver' or generic driver that corrects this Code 28 trouble with Bluetooth speakers?
    I dunno.
    I'm open to ideas.
    I'm just not ready to give up because this thing is working everywhere except on my laptop.

Thanks for your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1205186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice