Bmp to jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sunshine13

Is there a way to change bmp pictures into jpg?
Ive noticed at some sites, they say if you want to up-load a picture it should be in jpg or gif(i think that is what its called). How can I change them and what is wrong with bmp pictures?

bmp's are usually just uncompressed and very large windows image format. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

you can change any bmp to jpg with a number of programs. most simply, with WIndow's Paint. Just open it up in Paint, or right-click the file in Explorer and select Edit. If you don't use Photoshop or the like, it will automatically open in Paint. From there, just select File>Save As
in the drop down menu below the file name box, select JPG or JPEG. and save it.

forgive my typing, it's difficult with a cancer-stick in hand.

Bmp's contain a lot of information and are good quality, but they are very large files usually. Jpg's are a compressed format that retains most of the picture quality with some losses, but is a lot smaller file.

Install IrfanView and its plugins. Open your bmp with it and then go to the File menu and choose "Save As...". You can then save the picture as another format, converting it in the process.

www.irfanview.com

IrfanView also does batch processing so that you can convert a group of pictures at the same time.

Well, Paint will do the job. Simple, without having to download anything extra.

it comes with windows, which version of windows are you running? (unless whoever installed the OS kept it to a minimum)

::prepares to put foot in mouth::

IrfanView supports nearly every image type under the Sun. It's a very useful thing to have around for those times that someone emails you a pic in some format you never heard of. It will prove itself in time. And it also plays movies and music.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online