1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bmp to jpg

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by sunshine13, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunshine13

sunshine13 Thread Starter

Is there a way to change bmp pictures into jpg?
    Ive noticed at some sites, they say if you want to up-load a picture it should be in jpg or gif(i think that is what its called). How can I change them and what is wrong with bmp pictures?

2. Alcyon

Alcyon

bmp's are usually just uncompressed and very large windows image format. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

you can change any bmp to jpg with a number of programs. most simply, with WIndow's Paint. Just open it up in Paint, or right-click the file in Explorer and select Edit. If you don't use Photoshop or the like, it will automatically open in Paint. From there, just select File>Save As
    in the drop down menu below the file name box, select JPG or JPEG. and save it.

forgive my typing, it's difficult with a cancer-stick in hand.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bmp's contain a lot of information and are good quality, but they are very large files usually. Jpg's are a compressed format that retains most of the picture quality with some losses, but is a lot smaller file.

Install IrfanView and its plugins. Open your bmp with it and then go to the File menu and choose "Save As...". You can then save the picture as another format, converting it in the process.

www.irfanview.com

IrfanView also does batch processing so that you can convert a group of pictures at the same time.

4. 911

IrfanView is the right answer.

5. Alcyon

Alcyon

Well, Paint will do the job. Simple, without having to download anything extra.

6. sunshine13

Thanks...but I don't think I have the paint program...

7. Alcyon

Alcyon

it comes with windows, which version of windows are you running? (unless whoever installed the OS kept it to a minimum)

::prepares to put foot in mouth::

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

IrfanView supports nearly every image type under the Sun. It's a very useful thing to have around for those times that someone emails you a pic in some format you never heard of. It will prove itself in time. And it also plays movies and music.

9. sunshine13

I have windows xp

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Start > Run, and type:

mspaint <Enter>

11. sunshine13

hey...thanks...I've got it

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice