1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bob

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RRG, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RRG

RRG Thread Starter

Have decided to acquire a 17" flat panel monitor. Although prices and specs for many are available on line, prices seem to be dropping rapidly, and I have no experience with other than CRT monitors.
    Can you possibly provide me with appropriate minimal specs I should ensure a unit has? And, do you believe any of the models currently running about $200 are worth the investment? I recently found an Acer that looks good to me, but then what do I know.
    Thank you for your consideration and assistance.
    Bob Gestrich

2. tajaemax

tajaemax

All depends upon what you want to use it for.

3. RRG

RRG Thread Starter

just for home use, nothing real jazzy. Currently quite happy with a Samsung Syncmaster 753 DF, but would like to get a bit more space out of my closet type arrangement.
    Thanks for your help!
    Bob

4. tajaemax

tajaemax

Sorry I ment like gaming, word processing, video editing, etc.

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You might want to head over to www.tomshardware.com and search their articles database for LCD. They have done quite a few comparison articles over the past year or two about LCDs.

Here's a good one:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html

Basically, you're looking for a high contrast ratio (500:1 or more) and low latency (or response time) of 16ms or less. I believe the response times have gotten down to 12ms or less now.

The lower the response time, the less chance of having a "ghosting" effect while viewing high speed video (such as in games).

LG, NEC, and Samsung are pretty respected names in the LCD field.

However, if gaming is not a requirement then you can make do with something cheaper and a bit slower in response times.

My BenQ 767 is rated at 20ms and handles the occasional game just fine.

6. RRG

RRG Thread Starter

No gaming, video editing, and little word processing. Mainly email, internet things, and as a repositiory for digital camera shots worth keeping.
    Thanks,
    Bob

7. tajaemax

tajaemax

My general requirements:

Resolution: Personal comfort level take a look at what you have on your current monitor and go for that
    Brightness: Again it depends upon how dark you like things I would try for at least 300
    Contrast Ratio: the higher the better I shoot for 500:1 or better
    Response time:
    Non-gaming 25ms or under
    Gaming 16ms or under

edit: I just saw the last couple of posts

8. RRG

RRG Thread Starter

I appreciate your recommendations. I'll probably go with the less expensive suggestion for the reasons given.
    Thank you very much for your prompt help!
    Bob

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

OK, since no gaming but lots of picture viewing, I'd suggest..

High luminance (250+) and high contrast (500:1+)
    Response time can be 25ms or less

And if a monitor's description doesn't give you these three ratings..skip it.

10. RRG

RRG Thread Starter

Thank you very much, once more. I will definitely go only with those specs.
    Best regards,
    Bob

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice