1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOD on Pavilion g7-1154nr

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rak, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rak

Rak Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A4-3300M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3561 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 462295 MB, Free - 431482 MB; D: Total - 14339 MB, Free - 1599 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3568
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

My computer keeps crashing. Everytime I boot to windows, shortly thereafter, I get the BOD that tells me I have an uncorrectable hardware problem. I don't know how to retrieve the log files to provide that information, but if any one can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

HP tech support told me I've probably got a motherboard problem, but in observing how this computer is responding, I'm not convinced of that and I don't want to spend two to three hundred dollars with HP for them to search what I hope I can search out.

SYMPTOMS & SIGNS

1. Whenever a crash occurs, the screen goes horizontal and displays segmented horizontal lines in the color scheme of whatever image I had on the screen at the time of the crash.
    2. Within a few seconds, the BOD shows up, does a 60 second countdown and reboots the machine.
    3. I have tried booting into SAFE MODE, and so far when I do that, the computer does NOT crash.

I would appreciate any help or direction I can get.

At the time of this posting, I am on the machine I'm describing, and so far (45 minutes or so) I have not crashed.

WEIRD!

2. Sponsor

3. pip22

pip22

I tend to agree with you if it doesn't crash in safe mode. That suggests it's a bad or incompatible third-party driver that's causing it, since safe mode loads only a minimal set of drivers, none of which are third-party drivers (except the third-party network driver if you choose "safe mode with networking").

It's important to remember also that not all drivers are hardware drivers, but are still possible culprits. Such drivers are included with Firewall software, Antivirus software, and CD/DVD burning software.

So if you can recall installing any of the above type of software, or a device driver, just before the BSOD first appeared, try uninstalling it/them in safe mode then try starting Windows normally.

4. Rak

Rak Thread Starter

G,day pip22! Thank you for your response.

I am currently responding to your post from the culprit machine. I was actually able to run it for several hours yesterday without encountering another BSOD. I shut it off early this a.m. and tried to get some sleep. It's now 6:00 am EST US.

I ended up with this computer through an insurance purchase and want to give it to my son who is studying for his MD. The machine was purchased last June, one owner. It was registered with HP on 6/22/2011 and evidently returned shortly thereafter to whomever the retailer was that sold it. I ended up with it because it was included in a trucking company salvage purchase I was involved in. HP tells me it is no longer in warranty and I'm trying to get it working on my own. Med School is rather expensive, even though I'm not the one attending.

I told you all of that so you can bail out if you're not interested in helping me. I'll understand completely.

I am not a "techy", but then I'm also not a virgin to this activity...so if you'll bear with me and direct me as to what to do, I believe we can get this thing running clean.

I loaded MS Office 2010 into it last night and have been using it ever since. The computer, not the program. Just wanted to see if I could load anything without it crashing. So far so good until this am when it did exactly what it did previously. I believe that it is NOT related to the MS Office install. I restarted in Safe Mode. viewed some files I don't really understand, rebooted to a normal start and so far it has been running with no BSOD encounters. So now I'm even more convinced that it's probably what you have described. I just do not know how to run down the problem so I still need help.

Will await your response.

Have a good day!

Rak

5. Rak

Rak Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I checked the machine for factory installed and subsequently loaded software and see none other than strange looking Windows Theme. Some standard HP bloatware but other than that...nothing. As I said, I have restored to factory image and beyond that only loaded MS Office 2010.

6. Rak

Rak Thread Starter

Anyone want to jump in here and help? Should I be in a different forum?

7. Rak

Rak Thread Starter

Sorry to sound like a baby folks, but I need help if anyone is willing? Someone did respond to thread one time, but the time zone difference between the US and England may be too much to deal with. If I'm in the wrong FORUM, I'd be happy to move and post in another if that's what's keeping anyone other than my One Responder to jump in.

Thanks!

8. Rak

Rak Thread Starter

Bump

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!