1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bodged computer failing to boot to DOS even!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olivercoles, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olivercoles

olivercoles Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently just put together a PC made up of bits lying around the house, it has a newly formatted HD running and 192 MB ram.

The problem is that when i put in my 98 Boot disk it will not load, it reads the disk for a while then... stops!

Sometimes it gets to the starting win98 message, sometimes it even gets to the start with or without cdrom support screen, but never any futher without locking up. The wierd thing is that when I first assembeled it I managed to install windows and everything but the hard disk had a few bad sectors so I decided to do a reformat, the problem only started after this format.

I have tried every single bios option on and off, i have tried the cup and ram clocked to abotu 1/5 of their rates speeds, i have tried ram in veryous sockets, i have tried the comp with nothing plugges into the main board except FDD processor and graphics card, I have also tried a different floppy drive. None of this worked.

My Processor runs at a nice 22o in BIOS PC health screen.

The only possible cause of the problem is the computer being assembeled without static prevention and the pc was accidentally powered up without proper cooling and ran @ 85oC for a few seconds.

Any thoughts?

All help much appreciated.

2. pronute

pronute

try making a new boot disk on a fresh floppy, if that don't work swap the floppy drive out, and if that don't work try booting from cd drive if that don't work or is't not posible, try a new pc......just kidding, but realy if you can't read the floppy even with a comfirmed good drive then your motherboard's FDD controler is problely bad ,then all you have to do is get an FDD controler card

hope this helps

3. olivercoles

olivercoles Thread Starter

Yep the booting from floppy thing is definately not going to happen.

How can I create a boot cd? I tried my XP cd but it came up with a "*strange abbreviation* is not present" notice.

I hope I haven't screwed my board by not using grounding, an idiot I am.

4. pronute

pronute

Windows 98 is a bootable cd just put the disk in the drive change your boot sequence to cdrom for the first selection in bios, save changes and exit, the computer will probley ask (boot from cdrom press any key) press the any key and chances are it will work if you can't change boot sequence in bois then ?????? if all gose well don't forget to change the boot sequence back to floppy or A whatever it was, after the install.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice