1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bogged Down Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tedbackmann, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tedbackmann

tedbackmann Thread Starter

Probably not a fair question on this forum with the sponsors selling what I am questioning.
    I've done a scan with ???? and found 1300 registry problems. Should I pay to fix? or
    is a better solution to reformat? Nothing important to first save.
    Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    registry scan tools can cause a lot more problems , if you look through the forum, we do not recommend using a scanner to fix registry issues
    What is the problem with the PC - provide as much detail as possible, I can then move to the appropriate forum, include make and exact model of PC - windows version

3. tedbackmann

tedbackmann Thread Starter

IE and Firefox load very slowly. Frequently will not load at all.
    Shutting down also slow with the screen slowly scrolling down.
    Startup takes quite while even after I removed most apps thru control panel.

I only use a browser [ news and email] and one Marine Navigation program.

4. peck1234

peck1234

5. Grob needs help

Grob needs help

try defragmenting the system it may solve the problem

6. Obinice

Obinice

I've found that once the system gets bogged down to the point where it's annoying (every 6 months or so), it's best to simply do a completely fresh format and Windows install. You can try to patch up a sinking ship, but at the end of the day even if you succeed you still have a ship full of weak points. It's going to sink eventually.....

So once you've reinstalled, got all your applications, windows updates, settings, etc all as you like them once more, you can use a lovely little free app called DriveImage XML to create an image of that hard drive. Then, you save that image to another hard drive.

And in 6 months time when you're tearing out your hair once more.....you use DriveImage XML from a Boot CD to restore that hard drive "snapshot", and avoid having to repeat the process again. Takes me about 20 minutes!

It's easy enough to find instructions on how to use DriveImage XML to do all of this, but here are some links to get you started:

Guide on how to use DriveImage XML to back up a HDD, and how to create a BartPE disk with a DriveImage XML plugin installed for restoration. Only skimmed this, but looks to be the right thing. Again, it should be easy to find similar guides.
    DriveImage XML Website
    BartPE Website (Boot Disk generator)

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    tedbackmann:

Avoid registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup programs like the plague.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's the "service tag number" of that Dell Inspiron 1505 - assuming that it's the same computer that you have listed?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go here and click the green icon to download and save HijackThis 2.0.2.

Close all open browser windows first, then install it in its default location: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.

After it's installed, open its main window and click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan completes in 30 seconds or less, the log will appear.

Return here and then copy-and-paste the entire log here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Obinice

Obinice

Did you manage to solve your laptop woes in the end? :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!