1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bogus UPS spam wrecks Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Mumbodog, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

http://news.techworld.com/security/3220061/bogus-ups-spam-wrecks-windows-xp/?getDynamicPage

Nice.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Good to know (y)

3. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

sure is

4. antimoth

antimoth

Would you have opened the UPS trojan if you had not been warned?

I've gotten two of these emails to date and they were pretty amateurish. They talk about a package delivery from three months ago. It's all text with no JPG or GIF logos to fool the naive. And it's a zip file attachment. I was disappointed in my free AVAST though. It won't look inside a zip attachment.

Anyway, USPS, UPS and FEDEX all leave cards in the door when they cannot deliver.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog Thread Starter

No, I posted it for informational purposes, in case someone posts that their windows directory has disappeared and the system will not boot, we might know whats up.

6. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear antimoth,
    When my uncle sat by my side to teach me the rudiments of "computering", one of the things he told me was (actually made me write it) ,I WILL NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS, I WILL NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS, I WILL NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS(12 TIMES IMPOSITION)! I request my small band of friends, not to send me any attachments, but try to post what they want to convey as a direct e-mail!For example,the mobile phone bill is sent to me as an attachment and i never open it! Instead i ring up their office, give my name and cell number and in a jiffy, i know how much dough i have to cough out! Previously when the web was a "bit more secure and safe", whenever i ordered any shareware, the details (of the bill,etc) used to be upfront and not as an attachment .

If you have read my new post about Java in Ostrich mode, that's a "browser hijack". I have made it a policy, to right click any site and link with WOT and LinkExtend to ascertain the worth of the site! Since WOT(Web Of Trust) is a totally user based review site, i sincerely request (beg!!) you to become members of www.mywot.com and register yourselves as members and kindly contribute to the ratings, as the value of your rating makes a "HUGE DIFFERENCE"! Thank you!(y):)

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I WILL open attachments.

Here is my protocol - and I never deviate from it.

You send me an email with an attachment. I send you an email saying: "did you send me an email with an attachment?"

If you respond "yes, I sent it. It is a movie of my kid's birthday party..." then I will go ahead and open the attachment.

If you respond "no", or you don't respond, then I just delete the attachment.

I won't open any attachments from sources I don't recognized - including UPS, FedEx, Carrier, or any government on the planet.

The one exception I make to this is incoming faxes that I receive through the service that I use for faxing. They send emails with attached PDFs. I will open those PDFs, but I never permit a PDF reader to run any scripts.

8. perfume

perfume Banned

9. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

common sense folks can go a loooong way when it comes to computing & attachments.

10. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear wtxcowboy,
    True! That's the best security one can employ! :)

PS : But as the saying goes"THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS". How many of us right-click on a link and check with WOT and/or LinkExtend ?:rolleyes:

11. antimoth

antimoth

I kept getting these irritating fake UPS emails with the virus inside the zip . Finally, with today's version of Avast, the little lady inside the PC proudly announced it had deleted the zips. Took her long enough.

12. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear antimoth,
    We were all going Ga-Ga over Avira Antivir(free version), whereas Avast slowly but surely proved it's worth.As I have already mentioned, in the last AV-Comparatives study, only Avast (free) was accepted for testing and in some areas scored more ratings than ESET and KIS! If i were given a choice, right now whether to buy a security suite or save on Avast+a good free firewall, i will be stumped for choice ,as i see the major difference(i know there are divergent opinions) is "PROACTIVE" MODE which is not there in Avast! AVG, Comodo internet security suite and AVIRA(free) were not even considered for the tests! So, i must congratulate you, mainly for keeping faith in this excellent free offering!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice