1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOIS not detecting HDD devices???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbreeeeze00, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrbreeeeze00

mrbreeeeze00 Thread Starter

hi guys. working on a buddies PC who was trying to install a new CDRW. Dont know what was done before I got it but now it doesn't detect any IDE devices. Tried all configs of master, slave and CSL; primary and secondary; boot sequence and all but still no luck. I can hear the HDD kick in so I know its getting power. Changed IDE ribbons and connected only HDD and floppy and still nothing.

The board is and older MSI K7T Pro, the HDD is a newer 40GB WD IDE.

any suggestions would be great

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you entered the bios to see that each ide channel is enabled and set to auto detect?

3. mrbreeeeze00

yes, and they are.

i even reset the BIOS to the optimum default settings

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible that the ide controller on the mb has died, however having both die at once is somewhat rare. I would start with just one device on ide1. Boot the system and see if it is detected. If so, you can add one device at a time until you find the one that is causing problems.

5. mrbreeeeze00

Thanks for responding. I currently have only the HDD connected to IDE1 set as Master and nothing. Haven't tried connecting it to IDE2 but when I had the ROM drives connected there it wouldn't detect them either.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!