1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bookmarks; curiosity question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by grandpaw7, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

This is just a curiosity question, so it doesn't deserve any priority.

Some months ago, I printed a document entitled Bookmarks consisting of 21 pages of items which appear to be websites I have gone to at one time or another, broken down by categories. The category headings are in bold black and the items are in underlined blue, as those if I still had the document on my hard drive I could link to the items. I can use Find to get to those items that are in my Favorites folder but Find doesn't show anything on most of them, most of them not being in my Favorites folder. While the titles look familiar, I'm sure I never made more than a few of them favorites. At the bottom left of each page it shows: file://C:\Windows\desktop\bookmark.htm . I wanted to look at the document again but I don't have any file with that title. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of what it was that I printed off and why I can't file the file that apparently was there before. Thanks, grandpaw7

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Do you have "Show hidden files and folders" enabled?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do a search on your entire C: drive for bookmark.htm

The Desktop would not be the default spot for that file. Also what browser do you use?

IE has its bookmarks in a Folder called C:\windows\favorites\ for Win9x

Netscape's bookmarks are under the Netscape Install folder, but the file is usually called bookmark.htm if I'm not mistaken.

You can access favorites from your browser. In IE go to Favorites or you can View your History, in IE 6 this ICON looks like a Clock with a green arrow.

4. hewee

hewee

Yes I would say you have a Netscape bookmark.html file.
    At the very top of the bookmark.htm it should say...
    Bookmarks for [email protected] if you made it with netscape and use it in the pass.

The category headings in bold are the folder you made with netscape for each bookmark in netscape.

The file://C:\Windows\desktop\bookmark.htm may be where the file came from when you made it or it is where it is now.
    Wait are you sure it is...
    file://C:\Windows\desktop\bookmark.htm and not
    file:///C:/Windows/desktop/bookmark.htm --- This is how the address showes up in the address bar in netscape.

Do a search like for bookmarks.html

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks to Bassetman, Triple6 and hewee for the input.

I don't know how the file got on my computer but I guess I did something to delete it. I have "show hidden files and folders enabled". A search for bookmark.htm and bookmarks.htm produced nothing. And the list shows "\bookmark" rather than "/bookmark". I have always used Windows and I don't remember installing Netscape on my computer but I guess I must have (maybe it's the alzhiemers). I recall ordering the netscape CD a number of years ago but I don't remember installing it. I sure have not used it if I did install it. Find says I have nothing on my computer for netscape. And I definitely was using have Windows to bookmark my favorites. I copied the list I referred to on 4/8/03 and I used Windows to bookmark the favorites it lists. At the top it reads "Bookmarks" with no other wording.

I don't want you to spend any more time on this, but I appreciate what you have done. The reason I was interested in it is that I thought it would be an easier way to determine what favorites I wanted to get rid of since the list puts all the favorites in a single document with the full title. (Of course, I could use the list I did copy, but, darn it, after holding on to the list for some time and not making any use of it, through away all but a couple of the21 pages.) But I can do that another way.

Sorry to be so wordy but I couldn't stop myself. Thanks again, grandpaw7

6. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

The \bookmark is because it is on your PC, a /bookmark would mean a remote file named bookmark! ;)
    And you are welcome, we help because we want to! :cool:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice