1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bookshelf2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by stick, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stick

stick Thread Starter

I had to reformat my hardrive and reinstall all applications. When I reinstalled Bookshelf 2000 from the CD it installs in C:\Program Files/Microsoft Reference/Bookshelf 2000. However, when I doubleclick the Bookshelf application Icon the application cannot be found and the dialog window asks for the CD to be inserted. It runs from the CD, but I want to run it from my C drive. Any suggestions. Office 2000 is also installed and seems to run OK, but there is no reference to Bookshelf in the Office 2000 suite (perhaps part of the problem???). I'm using Windows98SE.

2. Lem0njell0

Lem0njell0

Mostly all of Mocrosoft's reference software runs a portion or all from the CD, its a type of copyright protection. If when installing it it gives you an option to "run all from harddrive" like it does when you install Office, that would be an option. Or you could put the whole contents of the CD on your harddrive manually and change the registry to point to that instead of you D drive (or whatever drive letter is your CD)

3. stick

stick Thread Starter

LemOnJello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm attaching a MS Knowledge base article the purports to describe how to install the entire BookShelf suite on the hardrive. Problem is - it doesn't work, at least not with Windows 98SE, and it's somewhat of an inconvenience to have to stick the CD into the CDROM slot everytime you want to access a certain feature. So much for Microsoft (I don't know why I expected more!).

Regards,

stick
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Complete Installation :

Complete Installation is an installation method for Bookshelf in which you copy all ten books in Bookshelf from the Bookshelf CD-ROM to the hard disk. When you use Complete Installation, you do not need to insert the Bookshelf CD-ROM to run Bookshelf. Any Parental Control settings you select for Bookshelf also apply to Complete Installation.

NOTE: Complete Installation uses approximately 650 megabytes (MB) of available hard disk space in addition to the normal Bookshelf installation requirements.

To use the Complete Installation method to run Bookshelf:

Quit Bookshelf if it is running.

Click Start , and then click Run .

In the Open box, type cdrom :\ , and then click OK , where cdrom is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Bookshelf CD-ROM.

On the Edit menu, click Select All .

On the Edit menu, click Copy .

In the Open box, type drive :\ , and then click OK , where drive is the drive letter of a hard disk that contains at least 650 MB of available disk space.

On the File menu, point to New , and then click Folder .

Type BooksCD , and then press ENTER.

Double-click the BooksCD folder.

On the Edit menu, click Paste .

Close all open windows, and then eject the Bookshelf CD-ROM from the CD-ROM drive.

Restart the computer.

Click Start , point to Programs , point to Microsoft Reference , and then click Bookshelf 99 or Bookshelf 2000 .

When you are prompted for the location of the Bookshelf files, type drive :\bookscd , and then click OK , where drive is the drive letter of the hard disk to which you copied the files from the Bookshelf CD-ROM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice