1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boosting a wireless connection to more then 1 Mile?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by darkelf_18, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. My uncle and I want to share a highspeed Satiellite internet connection... But we live about a mile away. Is there any way I can do this through a wireless connection? I know that if you get a bigger\better antenna for your Access Point that it will boost your range. Is there any antenna's out there that would boost the signal that far? Or if not is there any way I could make my own? Like out of an old TV antenna, cause if you think about it. A little 3 inch antenna will give a range of I think around 300-1000 feeet. So if you use a TV antenna thats like 6 feet high you could prolly produce a pretty nice signal... I don't know, it would be cool if that actually worked.
    Anyway, please reply ASAP.
    Thanks,
    D.E_18

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you're dreaming.

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Am I? I thought I heard from some tech person that it could be done. More input please.

4. Ddruid

Ddruid

You are not dreaming, I do 7-10mi shots nearly everyday. What you need is LOS *Line of Sight*. If you cannot clearly see his house from yours then forget about it (or build towers).

5. Ddruid

Ddruid

Here is a link to some photos I shot while building a 7+mi link back to one of our towers from our new office.
    7 mile wireless link

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i apologize and learned something to boot. :cool:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The line of sight is the key ingredient. I installed a pair of CanTennas on some Linksys WiFi equipment and got about 3/4 mile connections. With more expensive hi-gain antennas, a mile should be easy. Once again, if you're not line of sight, forget it. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice