Boosting a wireless connection to more then 1 Mile?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

darkelf_18

Hello everyone. My uncle and I want to share a highspeed Satiellite internet connection... But we live about a mile away. Is there any way I can do this through a wireless connection? I know that if you get a bigger\better antenna for your Access Point that it will boost your range. Is there any antenna's out there that would boost the signal that far? Or if not is there any way I could make my own? Like out of an old TV antenna, cause if you think about it. A little 3 inch antenna will give a range of I think around 300-1000 feeet. So if you use a TV antenna thats like 6 feet high you could prolly produce a pretty nice signal... I don't know, it would be cool if that actually worked.
Anyway, please reply ASAP.
Thanks,
D.E_18

darkelf_18

Am I? I thought I heard from some tech person that it could be done. More input please.

You are not dreaming, I do 7-10mi shots nearly everyday. What you need is LOS *Line of Sight*. If you cannot clearly see his house from yours then forget about it (or build towers).

bearone2

Banned
darkelf_18 said:
Hello everyone. My uncle and I want to share a highspeed Satiellite internet connection... But we live about a mile away. Is there any way I can do this through a wireless connection? I know that if you get a bigger\better antenna for your Access Point that it will boost your range. Is there any antenna's out there that would boost the signal that far? Or if not is there any way I could make my own? Like out of an old TV antenna, cause if you think about it. A little 3 inch antenna will give a range of I think around 300-1000 feeet. So if you use a TV antenna thats like 6 feet high you could prolly produce a pretty nice signal... I don't know, it would be cool if that actually worked.
Anyway, please reply ASAP.
Thanks,
D.E_18
i apologize and learned something to boot. :cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The line of sight is the key ingredient. I installed a pair of CanTennas on some Linksys WiFi equipment and got about 3/4 mile connections. With more expensive hi-gain antennas, a mile should be easy. Once again, if you're not line of sight, forget it. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online