1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boosting system beep volume relative to other sound volume?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dpomerleau, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dpomerleau

dpomerleau Thread Starter

Here is a question I can't seem to find the answer to in the archives.

How can adjust the volume output from my Windows ME machine (with SoundMax Digital Audio) so that the volume of the background music I like to listen to (via RealOne Player version 6.0.10.505) is quiet, but the other important sounds my PC makes (like email or calendar notifications) are loud enough so I can hear them?

I've seemingly tried all combinations of settings for the volume sliders/adjustments, including:

1) The volume knob on my speakers
    2) The RealOne Player volume slider
    3) The Windows volume control panel "Volume Control" slider
    4) The WIndows volume control panel "PC Beep" slider

Even when the "PC Beep" volume slide is set to maximum, and the "Volume Control" slider is set near minimum in the Windows volume control panel, the PC beep is virtually inaudible when the background music is acceptably quiet (by adjusting the RealOne volume slider and/or the volume control on my speakers).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some other way that I'm not thinking of to boost the volume of the system sounds my PC makes, while keeping the RealOne music volume low?

Thanks,

--Dean

2. Rockn

Rockn

That is not a beep from the motherboard, it is actually a wav file ding.wav I believe. Have you tried turning up the wave volume on your windoze volume control?

3. dpomerleau

I think you are probably right, the sound my system makes to notify me of new mail is not coming from a speaker on my motherboard (which is what the PC Beep volume probably controls), but through my speakers as a .wav file.

So I tried turning up the "Wave" slider on the Windows volume control panel. This did make the system sounds louder, but it also turned up the volume of my background music. Once I turned the volume of my speakers down to get the music quiet enough again, the email notification sounds was again virtually inaudible :-(

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

--Dean

4. HutchBall

HutchBall

How about finding the actual wave sound on your hard drive, and using a wave editor to increase the gain? It may distort a little if you do it too much, but you could get a bit more volume.

5. dpomerleau

Thanks for the wave file editor idea. I did what you suggested - pumped up the gain on my mail notification sound .wav file to 1000% of its original level. This did helped - it made the mail notification sound now comparable in volume to that of my background music. But I'd really like it significantly louder, and as it is (at 1000%) I'm getting a lot of distortion when the sound plays.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

--Dean

6. dpomerleau

Further details. It appears to me that Windows treats the .wav files it uses to signal important system events (like email notification) the same as the music signal coming from RealOne. As a result, when I turn the volume down to get the music acceptably quiet, the system sounds also become barely audible.

Here is an idea:

If I installed another sound card (and speakers) would it be possible to adjust their volume's independently, and get the system sounds to play through one and RealOne to play through the other? If so, it seems like this might solve my dilemma.

Thanks,

--Dean

7. HutchBall

HutchBall

Just another thought...
    How about changing the sound altogether? Replacing the 'bell' with a high pitched whine or something? Just make the sound you want using say, NCH Tone Generator from download.com. I'm sure you can make some kinda freaky, scary noise which you will hear over your music. (High pitched is probably best)

And then save it with the same name as the origional 'bell' sound. Just be sure not to erase the origional sound, just give it another name so you can get it back later.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice