Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot and shut down immediately

766 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
hi , I have recently took my pc apart to install new processor and ram and now it doesn't start , it powers up and within like 10 seconds , it shuts down and restarts , my motherboard is : gigabyte ga-h55m-ud2h.
Any help is appreciated

#6 ·
First of all, what bios are you running on that board? There are two different 870s and one requires a much later bios than the other.
Next did you pull the mb out of the case to install the cpu and hsf? If not, you most likely do not have the hsf installed correctly. The intel type coolers can be a pain to install for an inexperienced builder. With the board out of the case, you can check that all four push-pins are fully seated. The hsf must contact the cpu with a minimum of 15lb clamping force or the system will do just what you describe; shutdown/reboot after a few seconds.

I assume you did clean all parts with 99% or 91% alcohol and use new thermal compound, correct?

#8 ·
I have took the processor and ram out and put it back to how it was and it still doesn't work , um so your saying at least 15 pounds of pressure is needed on the processor for the computer to boot , I guess I will screw the screws tighter tomorrow and see , other wise I will be taking it into a computer repair place

#9 · (Edited)
If you have a stock intel cooler, there are no "screws to tighten" The screw heads are for removing the cooler NOT installing the cooler. The push-pins are pushed into the board until they snap or click in place.
If you have an aftermarket cooler some of those do use screws to install the cooler. If your cooler looks like the one in the pic, those things that look like screw heads are for removal not installing. Circled in red.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.