1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot beeps and lack of screen or booting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by q1221643, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. q1221643

q1221643 Thread Starter

Hey all -

My comp system's a little over 2 years old, custom built... a while ago when I turned it off, it didn't want to restart...

System stats:
    Soltek motherboard
    2x 512mb sticks of Kingmax RAM
    2x 120gb Harddrives
    GeForce4 TI 4800SE
    Athlon XP 2500+

I got a black screen and a repetitve medium-length beep. No boot to the startup screen, and the monitor still registers no signal... I spent hours taking the comp apart and putting it back together, but taking the battery out osolved the beeping problem overall for about a week. I've replaced everything (bar processor) inside with a friend's comp (almost identical system) but same prob.

I ended up taking out one of my kingmax sticks of ram, and it rebooted fine, tested just the other stick of ram and nothing...so 1 stick of RAM dead, not a huge problem, but booting works ok.

So believing the battery to not be at fault, I put it back in this morning and nothing... just a repetitive beep again, no screen. (brand new battery, same thing.) taking the battery out, letting the power off for a while, and starting up minus the battery again, it works...

Any suggestions of what could be wrong? The comp works now, just lack of battery makes a bit of a pain to reset the bios settings every time I move it about.

2. kronus

kronus

So, one bad stick of ram - removed
    one bad mobo battery - removed

boots without the battery, won't boot with the battery.

Buy a new battery. They're dirt cheap.

3. norton850

norton850

"(brand new battery, same thing.)"

Still the "new" battery could be bad or in wrong. Probably worth checking out to see if the battery connectors are clean and making contact.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice