1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot but get a blank screen on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EIR Loe.307, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EIR Loe.307

EIR Loe.307 Thread Starter

I have seen similar posts about this but nothing on a laptop. I have an HP Pavilion dv1330se that had a bad mother board. I was able to find a replacement and the laptop was working great. I had it working for about a month and just recently had it on for about 3-4 days. I shut it down and went to bed. When I got up I turned it on and it would get all the way to the windows screen with the progress bar and then my video would go black. If I wait a sec I can actually type in my password and it finishes the boot up. I hear the windows music and all that. I can even shut it back down using keyboard commands.

I tried booting in safe mode with no luck. Re-seated the ram, followed a link from here to HP about removing the batt. and trying some things with the power, hell I even gave the laptop a nice little smack. Nothing. I had a copy of Suse Linux 9.2 live that I tried loading. I got the live cd to boot all the way. I was playing games and all. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

My main concern is that once this laptop was fixed I moved files from my old dying laptop over. My main PC died a year ago and took a bunch of files along. I can't afford to lose all these files as well. Thanks.

(The image is the screen I get to)

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
  2. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc

Hmm...sounds like maybe it's a driver issue. I mean, if you could get it to work with a different OS. Have you updated drivers lately? Could be that you restarted the computer and it loaded a new video driver and it's causing the video to not work.

3. EIR Loe.307

I don't think I updated the driver but it's possible. The question is, how do I fix that if I can't see the display? Can I remote in if I've never setup the damaged laptop for that?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happens when you boot to Safe Mode?

5. EIR Loe.307

It never seems to get that far. I'll have to try it again but so far it hasn't booted to safe mode.

Tried it. It hangs up at mup.sys

6. EIR Loe.307

Anyone have any suggestions on at least how to get past the mup.sys problem? What about a possible remote in? I don't know how to do that but I have a friend that does.

7. EIR Loe.307

I almost made some progress. We were able to share the C drive on the damaged laptop (via run line commands) so I can now see the whole drive on the network. BUT the files are private and I can't yet access them. So my next problem is how do I unlock them while still having a blank screen? If I can get the drive accessible then I can copy the files over to my external drive and reinstall XP.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

9. EIR Loe.307

Yes but I can't see the screen or I wouldn't be on here to start with. I need something run line since I can start>r> and go from there.

10. Alexi

Alexi

I just posted for help with a similar problem.
    I can get about as far as you can, but on my HP951 Desktop.
    My program skills are not good at all.
    I don't know how to reset stuff, can I can't get into DOS.
    I think it's just a driver thing, I tried to update my driver, and that's when things went south.
    If I could just find out how to load a driver, from the get go, from a CD or Floppy, yeah, it's that old, but still in good shape... lol
    I wish you luck, and hope I have better luck with responses....:confused:

11. grimx133

grimx133

You say you can boot linux, why not just use that to copy your files to an external drive or burn them. Or use something windows based like Bart PE or UBCD4WIN? (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows) You'd have to make the discs on another machine, but it's not all that hard to do.

Bart PE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    ubcd4win http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Either one will let you burn discs and move files and more.

12. EIR Loe.307

I booted linux from a live disk and I couldn't get to my files. I haven't tried to install linux full and do it that way yet though. I had thought about it. As for the other two idk what they are. I'm not nearly as troubleshooting and programing literate as I'd like to be. Does anyone know if it matters that the files are private in windows if I install Suse and try to get in that way?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice