1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by ineedhelp890, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890 Thread Starter

I've never had a mac before, but am interested in the boot camp thing. I need to be purchasing a laptop soon and would love a macbook pro because of the looks and specs. The condition is, it has to be able to run windows as fast as a PC with equal specs. Does boot camp seem to do this to the people who have tried it, or are there performance problems? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. VegasACF

VegasACF

The office I work in (a small law firm at which I'm interning while making my way through the last year of law school) was, until my arrival, Windows-only.

I purchased a MacBook Pro and installed BootCamp and Windows XP. Now I've got both the fastest Mac and the fastest Windows computer in the building. For whatever it's worth, I'm on that Mac right now, running Windows XP. I have to say the machines that are here in the office are not the "latest greatest" machines (I wouldn't count on them to do any CG work), and they don't have as much RAM installed as I think they should (I've got one GB installed on the Mac), but the one to which I'm comparing it is a 2.5 GHz Compaq that sits (usually dormant, now), and this MacBook Pro, regardless of which OS is operational at the moment, runs circles around it. Perhaps, given more RAM (I'm pushing my boss for it, but so far my cries have fallen on deaf ears) these other computers (they're all of similar vintage and spec) would give this MacBook a run for its money, but I doubt they would be any faster.

That said, BootCamp is public beta software (a rarity for Apple, mind you), so someone who pushes a Windows machine to the limits may find glitches and errors in the software, but for me, a "typical" user of either platform (my audio recording Mac side notwithstanding--I do very intensive work in that arena that pushes my Mac hard/software to the limits), BootCamp has run flawlessly.

3. macdudenj

macdudenj

try reading this first.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

Why somebody would buy a Mac to do Windows intensive stuff is beyond me. The Mac should run at comparable speeds with comporable equipment. Everything I have read suggests that because you are running windows xp normally, not through an emulator. Bootcamp merely facilitates the partition and loading of windows on a processor that is already designed for it. Check macworld.com for the article.

Here is the link to macworld article.
    http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firstlooks/xpbenchmarks/index.php

4. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I'm not ready to buy just yet as already have a 2.3Ghz windows laptop. I won't be buying until Mac's new OS is released with boot camp already apart of the OS and out of beta.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice