1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Cycling Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechSC, May 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I have recently went through two purchases of the same motherboard off Ebay (maybe that is the issue in itself). Both motherboards have come to me DOA (I have gotten refunded for the first) or as far as I can tell. Motherboard = Gigabyte B85M-D3H rev. 1.1, cpu = i5 4590, psu = thermaltake 600 watt, ddr 3 = 8 gb (2x4) Patriot

The mobo will start, then stop and start again - continuous cycle until I turn it off. There are no code beeps (tried internal speaker also), and there are no status lights on the board.

Steps I have taken trying to resolve. I have unplugged all other components except the barebones, but maybe I am missing something simple.
    One stick of ram, moving the one stick to different slots, trying totally different ram
    Tried two different psu's that powered on other systems
    Tried different cpu for same socket
    Tried clearing the cmos - I have removed the battery as well
    Tried following steps for mobo to boot from back-up bios
    I have taken the mobo out of the case as well and tried the same steps
    I have taken the components I wanted to use and put them back in former case (parts booted to bios)

Thanks again, but seems really odd that I would two boards doing the same exact thing.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not understanding this statement;
    Are you referring to the gigabyte board and 4590 booted into the bios in your old case OR are these other parts you are taking about?

FWIW ebay is about the last place to purchase parts. If you cannot find new parts and amazon does not have any used or NOS, then go ebay.

3. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Yes, sorry about that. Left out an important word. Meant - I have taken out the components I wanted to use and put them back in former case - with previous motherboard (parts booted to bios). I have faired well with graphics cards, but I ask a lot of questions too. Thanks for your help.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, it boots with the old board and not the new board. Unless you have a mounting problem with the new board ie standoff shorting to the case OR you are not seating ram or pw connectors, that pretty much points at a failed board.

5. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Yeah, I even tried a different case and I have taken the mobo out to test without a case. I would love an easy fix like the connectors not being in all the way. Thanks for your help, but I think you are correct in that it being a failed board.

6. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

It has been awhile since I looked at this thread. Just wanted to see if anyone had ideas on how to make a gigabyte board boot from back-up bios? Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice