Boot device error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

goatboyy

Using an older lenovo with windows 10, whenever I turn it on I get a black screen with a blue box that says "default boot device missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key then select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media." I press enter or whatever and then there's a white screen that says "boot option menu (up arrow) and (down arrow) to change option, enter to select and option" but there are no options? If I press esc I get a black screen with "no bootable device -- please restart system"

crjdriver

Most likely the hard drive has failed OR the cable/pw connector is loose. Open the case and reseat ie remove and replace both sata data and pw connectors. If you get the same problem, the drive has probably failed.

goatboyy

Most likely the hard drive has failed OR the cable/pw connector is loose. Open the case and reseat ie remove and replace both sata data and pw connectors. If you get the same problem, the drive has probably failed.
What would the connectors look like? Should I attach a picture?

crjdriver

First of all, you have to be comfortable working inside the case. If you do not feel you can do this, take the system to a shop and have them diagnose it for you. Here are pictures of what the data and pw connectors look like;

Attachments

crjdriver

Before opening the case, remove the pw cord from the rear of the system OR just unplug it from the socket.
Now press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online