1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot device error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustSomeGuy1, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustSomeGuy1

JustSomeGuy1 Thread Starter

I get this error on one of my computers frequently but not always restarting usually makes it boot normally. The full error is "Reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot media in selected boot." Reading up on it, it usually is a failing harddrive error but i used powermax on my maxtor and it passed all the test. What else could be causing this error?

2. brite750

brite750

you ran the full test and it passed? could be your cable, could be the MB

try putting hdd on secondary channel

3. rugrat

rugrat

Just another thought,
    If the BIOS is set to either boot from CD or floppy first, is there a disc in either drive when you boot?

4. JustSomeGuy1

yes the full test i did basic advanced and burn in test. I'll buy a replacement cable tomorrow and is there anyway to test the motherboard? (because I had issues with this comp in the past where 2 WD hard drives died on separate occasions but its under warrenty so i got it fixed.) How would i put the hard drive in the secondary channel? and for the other question the bios is set to boot floopy then cdrom then harddrive sometimes a disc is in sometimes it isn't but i still get the error.

5. rugrat

rugrat

Just to see if it might be a glitch in the BIOS I would set it to boot from the hard drive first. You can always change it back if you need to boot from a floppy or CD. If that makes no difference, use brite's first suggestion on the cable. As far as putting it on the secondary channel, there should be two cables for hard drives etc... coming from the motherboard, plug the drive into the second one as master. You may have to unhook the CD if it is already a master on the secondary.

6. JustSomeGuy1

ohhh so thats what he meant by secondary ok! well since this doesn't error happen all the time after ill try the cable switch and see if it seemed to solve the problem or not , thanks.

7. brite750

brite750

yeah you can just swap ide channels for a while and see if it still does it, if its you prim ide chan then i would expect your optical drives to maybe start acting up. Ive still got a MB with this problem the prim just doesnt work anymore while the rest of the board seems ok.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice