Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

boot device error

952 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  brite750 
#1 ·
I get this error on one of my computers frequently but not always restarting usually makes it boot normally. The full error is "Reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot media in selected boot." Reading up on it, it usually is a failing harddrive error but i used powermax on my maxtor and it passed all the test. What else could be causing this error?

#2 ·
JustSomeGuy1 said:
I get this error on one of my computers frequently but not always restarting usually makes it boot normally. The full error is "Reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot media in selected boot." Reading up on it, it usually is a failing harddrive error but i used powermax on my maxtor and it passed all the test. What else could be causing this error?
you ran the full test and it passed? could be your cable, could be the MB

try putting hdd on secondary channel

#4 ·
yes the full test i did basic advanced and burn in test. I'll buy a replacement cable tomorrow and is there anyway to test the motherboard? (because I had issues with this comp in the past where 2 WD hard drives died on separate occasions but its under warrenty so i got it fixed.) How would i put the hard drive in the secondary channel? and for the other question the bios is set to boot floopy then cdrom then harddrive sometimes a disc is in sometimes it isn't but i still get the error.

#5 ·
Just to see if it might be a glitch in the BIOS I would set it to boot from the hard drive first. You can always change it back if you need to boot from a floppy or CD. If that makes no difference, use brite's first suggestion on the cable. As far as putting it on the secondary channel, there should be two cables for hard drives etc... coming from the motherboard, plug the drive into the second one as master. You may have to unhook the CD if it is already a master on the secondary.

#7 ·
yeah you can just swap ide channels for a while and see if it still does it, if its you prim ide chan then i would expect your optical drives to maybe start acting up. Ive still got a MB with this problem the prim just doesnt work anymore while the rest of the board seems ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.