1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot disk error, insert system disk and press enter....please help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xbox_earth, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xbox_earth

xbox_earth Thread Starter

Hello everybody, i need your help. My computer froze and I tried everything to get it working again (exit, ctrl+alt+delete, patience) , but it stayed frozen then went to a blue screen. Forgot what screen said but main part was telling me to reboot the Computer, I turned off by power button because no other way to shut it off.
    Then when i turned it on again, my computer was making weird noises, then went to ntdlr error after very long time. I press enter then it boots again and shows the "boot system error...".

Im running windows xp sp2 and main drive is C... I'm pretty sure i have a D: too.

My questions are:

1) Can my files still be recovered and if so how?
    2) How can i fix this problem?

Please and Thankyou

2. The Hound

The Hound

If the noise was like a vacuum cleaner with marbles in it, or an ominous clicking, then your hard drive is not long for this world. I would suggest that you do not try to boot with that drive--pull the drive, install it as a slave on another working machine, and copy your data to cd's, another hdd, or usb drives.

A new hard disk is probably in your future, but stick around for more opinions...

3. xbox_earth

what are the signs for knowing my hdd is broken.. with 100% accuracy?

And also i've tried the technique of putting it as slave in another computer, but after staying at a black screen after the windows loading screen for like a minute, the computer reboots. Then i go to setup after reboot and it shows that there are no hdd's, when before reboot it showed my good hdd as master and "the hdd thats giving me problems* shows as slave. What can be causing this? What should i do?

I also tried installing windows xp again in the bad hdd and it showed as 190000mb space and 190000mb free space. when in reality i had probably 90gb occupied .what does that mean? How could have everything be erased, i don't understand.

and thankyou for response

4. xbox_earth

anyone?

5. Striker840

Striker840

The fact that your PC is not able to read from the harddrive is a pretty good sign of your drive failing. Also the message "Boot System Error" is telling me that your harddrive is unreadable as far as the OS is concerned. One thing you can try, it may or may not work but its worth the shot. Put your harddrive in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a few hours, then pull it out and put it in as a slave and boot and try to recover your data.

Those
    were more than likely your drive crashing.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the make/model of drive? There are testing tools available from most manufacturers.

You could also boot from the XP CD and run chldsk /p or /r (preferred) on that drive to see if it will complete and whether the Recovery Console even detects the presence of an operating system.

7. xbox_earth

Thankyou for responses. The hdd is a Seagate ST3200822A.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have an XP CD, try the chkdsk and let us know what happens.

9. xbox_earth

i just got the xp cd, went into recovery console but it doesn't detect the operating system.
    What should I do?
    Thankyou for responses

10. Striker840

Striker840

Does your bios "see" the drive?
    If not, the drive is toast:(

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

12. xbox_earth

yes my bios sees the drive, going to try out the diagnostics software right now

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you put the drive as a slave in other pc, did you make sure whatever else was on that cable was master?

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

15. xbox_earth

yes i checked that it was slave.
    I did the seagate diagnostics and it said "Read Scan PASSED", thats a good sign right?

Thankyou for all the help till now guys, really appreciate it

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice