1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Boot disk failure, insert system disk and hit enter"??????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by troublesome5, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. troublesome5

troublesome5 Thread Starter

My dad sent my daughter a "E Machine" with XP Home. Before he sent it, he transferred all of his personal files. When I hooked it up, the screen said "Boot disk failure. Insert system disk and hit enter". The company sent us a new set of bootable CDs as we thought the problem might be in the CD. Same message. HELP!!!

2. edbro9

edbro9

Make sure there is no floppy in the drive.

3. troublesome5

There is no disk in the drive.

4. edbro9

edbro9

Enter BIOS setup and see if it even sees the hard disk as being there.

Are you trying to boot from the CDs? If so, make sure that booting from CDs is enabled in the BIOS.

To enter BIOS setup, look at the screen during POST (very first thing) It will tell you the keys to enter the BIOS. Usually something like Del or F2.

5. troublesome5

Ok I will have to look at that again when I get home....I didn't see any options like that, but I wasn't really looking for them either. Can you tell me what all I need to do because I won't be able to look at this until I get the computer up...and cannot get the computer up with out this. Love those Catch-22s.

6. edbro9

edbro9

Get into the bios setup and it should list your hard drive(s). If it shows it then the hardware sees it!

Each bios setup is a bit different but there should be a screen showing the boot sequence. There you can change the sequence and the devices that the machine will look to for booting. Typically, a machine will be set to first look for a floppy disk, followed by the CD, then the HD. If the CD drive is not listed in the boot device sequence, try to select it. Then you should be able to boot from the CD.

If you can boot from the CDs and the BIOS sees the HD, then as a last resort you could always apply a fresh install of XP from the CDs.

7. troublesome5

Ok, that makes sense...I had to do all that to do a clean install of XP on one of my computers. My only concern is getting to the bios place to begin with - I don't remember seeing anything on the screen that it showed, but I will look again. I hope like hell it works because my daughter is driving me nuts. :)

8. edbro9

edbro9

It won't help. Daughters will drive dads nuts no matter what!

9. troublesome5

Well, I'm a mom, but I know the feeling well, lol. Thanks for your help and hey, while we are on the subject somewhat, I have a computer, one of the kind that is "built"...I did a clean install of XP Home and it works wonderfully except that it does not find my network card or whatever it is I need to get on the internet. I have no idea what kind of card it is. How difficult is it to figure that out? I am not at all mechanically inclined so I'm kind of scared to tried to open it up and look. I am using a 6 year old computer in the meantime and whew - it sucks.

10. edbro9

edbro9

Are you sure that XP does not see it? Open up the Device Manager ( Go Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager). There it will show all the installed hardware. If it sees it but there is a little yellow triangle showing then it needs drivers. If it doesn't see it then there are 2 things you can do:

1). Ground yourself by touching the metal on the back of the power supply while it is plugged in but not on. Then unplug the power supply, open the case up and ensure that the network card is properly seated. Run the Add Hardware wizard from the Control Panel.

2). Purchase a USB network interface. These can be had brand new for about 20 bucks.

11. troublesome5

It shows the triangle ...but I don't know what driver because I have no idea what kind of card or whatever.

12. edbro9

edbro9

I'm not at an XP machine right now but I think if you right click on the entry and select properties there will be a place to update drivers. It should also tell you what network card it is. You should be able to search for drivers on the net.

You could also select "uninstall" for the device then afterwards click on the little computer icon and do a search for new hardware. It will pick up the card again and then you can tell it to search for drivers.

13. troublesome5

Ok, I'm going to print all this out and take it home and try it...it can't hurt, hell, I can't use it as is anyway. Thanks and I'll let you know tomorrow if that worked. :)

14. troublesome5

*Sigh* I didn't get around to trying the thing on MY computer yet, but I got to the BIOS and it was already set up for CDROM first. Still the same message. :( ANy ideas? There has to be a solution...it's a good computer but something must have happened when my dad transferred his files. He said it worked fine then. I wrote down everything it says on the screen that comes up....would it help if I put that in here for you to look at?

15. edbro9

edbro9

Go ahead, it couldn't hurt. But, a failure of the machine to boot from a cd has nothing to do with whatever is on, or not on the hard drive. So, your father could not have messed up anything simply by removing his files. If boot from cd is set as the first option then the machine will not have even looked at the hard drive before trying to boot from the cd. Have you tried these bootable cds on any other machine? Just see if it boots, you don't have to actually install anything.

Now that you know how to get into the bios, look to see if the BIOS recognizes the CD drive and the hard drive. Possibly, the IDE cable that connects the drives to the motherboard may have come loose. This is sounding like more of a hardware problem than a software one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/408531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice