1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Disk Setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blockhead_dp, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blockhead_dp

blockhead_dp Thread Starter

I have a corrupt .dll file that is not allowing me to boot... I have been told that by using the Windows XP boot floppies, I can repair or replace the corrupted olecli32.dll file... I do NOT have the Windows XP installation CD, only the Setup boot disks... If I use them to boot my computer from the Floppy drive and setup XP, will my files and folders (i.e pictures, etc) be deleted?

If so, what method can I use to repair the corrupt .dll file without erasing my pictures?

Thanks in advance for any help...

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Attached Files:

3. TekTime

TekTime

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The Setup Floppies do not have that file. You can boot to the Recovery Console, and see if a copy exists in the Windows\system32\dllcache folder. If so, you can copy it to Windows\system32. This won't affect your data files.
    The command to use:
    Code:
    [B]Copy C:\Windows\system32\dllcache\olecli32.dll C:\Windows\System32[/B]
    If it's not there, you can download the full network install of SP3 (it's not included with SP2), extract the files on another PC, expand the olecli32.dl_ file, then put it onto a floppy/CD to copy to the system with the corrupt file.

Download SP3
    Save the downloaded file into C:\SP.
    Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter
    Type the following lines, press Enter after each:
    cd\
    cd /D C:\sp

Type win and press Tab, this should type the rest of the file name for you, then type -x:c:\sp
    The line should look like this for SP3:
    windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\sp
    Press Enter and the files will be extracted to C:\sp\i386
    Now type this line and press Enter:
    expand C:\sp\i386\olecli32.dl_ C:\sp\olecli32.dll
    You can now copy this file to a floppy or CD to use on the PC with the corrupt file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice