1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Disk Will Not Work!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Patmos, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Patmos

Patmos Thread Starter

I just built a computer. It is an 1.4 AMD Athlon with a 40gb hard drive 256 mb ram. It has Biostar M/B. I got everything together and powered it up with my boot disk in the floppy dirve. It gets past the Biostar splash screen and tries to read the floppy for the boot record and says boot failure insert system disk and press enter to continue. I have tried 2 different floppy drives and still the same thing. I have used 2 different boot disks. I have formatted them and made them over again. Still no boot. I have tried the disks in another pc and it works fine. I have set the boot sequence to A,C. What is the problem!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Make sure the floppy drive is level inside the case......and not too tightly screwed in.....you might try hooking it up on the outside of the case for 'testing' purposes....if it works there, you're going to have to adjust it to where it's happy once it's inside the case.

3. deanas

deanas

Try another cable?

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Also in the bios be sure that the floppy drive is set to 3.5 Inch 1.44MB.

5. ETS

ETS

And make sure the floppy drive light isn't on all the time.

6. Patmos

Patmos Thread Starter

No the light does not stay on. I reversed the cables just out of frustration once and it did so I know the cable is right. It reads the floppy,seemingly, and then the light just goes out. It is also set correctly in the BIOS to 1.44 mb.

7. ~Candy~

Did you try another cable? Have you tested it outside of the case?

8. Patmos

Patmos Thread Starter

Yes I tested both drives outside the case. No this a brand new cable but that really doesn't mean anything I don't guess. I will try that but if the cable was bad the drive would not function would it? Would it not error during post?

9. ~Candy~

In the bios setup, is the floppy drive controller ENABLED?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice