Boot disk with usb cdrom support?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crusnik

So I have a laptop with just a floopy drive, no built in cdrom or dvd. I am getting the dreaded "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" message and want to run a chkdsk on the hard drive. The only way I know how to do that is from an XP cd.

I have a external usb cdrom, but the BIOS does not support it as a boot option. Is there a boot disk out there that gives usb cdrom support? I am not have much luck on google finding a boot disk I can download.

-Or-

Is there a boot disk with usb support that'd allow me to run chkdsk off a USB stick? Assuming it'd be possible to put chkdsk on a USB stick.

Thanks!

One option would be to remove the drive and get a $10 IDE 2 USB cable so that you could run CHKDSK on the drive after plugging it into another XP machine. I've had good luck doing this, both to repair a corrupt drive, and to get files off a drive that was going bad.

John Hensley
www.resqware.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online