Boot Disk ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Weezie12

What do I do to boot from a Windows boot disk? I don't want to format the hard drive, just start windows 98SE. At the A:\ prompt what do I type? Thanks.

hl5

In other words, you can't boot Windows from a floppy disk (not even a "Windows" boot disk). It's much too big to fit on a floppy. There are ways to boot it from a CD-ROM, but Microsoft makes this hard to do to curb piracy (and help it maintain its monopoly in the market).

Related links:
BartPE (boot Windows from CD -- not just click and go though)
Ultimate Boot CD (a bunch of useful stuff for DOS on a bootable CD -- easy to set up but it's DOS)
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (a Windows version of the Ultimate Boot CD -- but more difficult to set up)

However, sometimes a user doesn't ask the question he meant to ask, and I suspect that's the case here. How about starting with what you're trying to accomplish and we can work from there?

[edit: I should add -- what you're booting to is MS-DOS]

Still not sure you can just boot to a floppy and from the A: prompt type C:\win and expect Win98 to load.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online