1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richb, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richb

richb Thread Starter

How do you make a bootable disk of w2k that just starts the machine instead of trying to install or repair your operating system?

2. deuce

deuce

Well a boot disk can't really completely boot your system. You can boot to a dos prompt and install cdrom drivers from a boot disk... and from there you can boot from a windows install cd in your cdrom. A boot disk should have come with your OS but if you don't have it anymore you can make a new one by going to control panel/add-remove programs/startup disk/create disk.

Also... if you have a zip drive you can make a bootable startup disk that will boot fully into windows.

3. richb

richb Thread Starter

Mike, your suggestion is well taken. I'm running W2k now and I want to change hard drive because I think this one is going bad. (This will be another query). I want to boot outside of the hard drive so that I can copy all of my old info to the new hard drive. I can make the new a slave, but there are files that are being used and can't be accessed when I boot up W2k. (I was also thinking that if I found a way to do this I could always use this technique to back up an existing drive periodically for security). When I went to do as suggested: control panel/add-remove programs/startup disk/create disk...." I couldn't find 'startup disk' to create a boot disk. I think this is true for W98 not in W2K. The reason I wanted to create from my HD is that I wanted the operating system boot using a registry on a floppy or CD that would enable me to use my other utilities already installed. Any other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice