1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Drive letter, recovery partion stole C

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by applesfaceman, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applesfaceman

applesfaceman Thread Starter

I reformatted a crappy gate way which has a recovery partition, but it would not reformat the rigth way, when i went to set up windows, Push the next button, i big white box went over everything and that was that, i reformatted 3 times and it kept doing it, so i got a winxp pro disk and did it this way, everything works geat, but now, that damn partition is taking my drive letter C, and i have already read the thing from microsoft about regedit, i did it and i could not load windows, it froze after Loadined winxp, mouse moved but nothing happend, i reformatted again... still taking my drive letter.. please help, if i have to reformat one more time, i wish for it to be the last, and my drive letters to be right.. HELP!! THANKS

2. applesfaceman

applesfaceman Thread Starter

when i change in computer managment it says
    windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

Trying to use the recovery partition would have set it active. If it doesn't complete successfully, the active flag doesn't get removed.

If the recovery partition isn't working, just delete it.

If you want to keep the recovery partition, you'll need to use a 3rd party tool to create the XP partition and set it active (aka as Boot Flag).
    A Gparted Live CD is what I would use for this, create the partition you want to use with XP, but don't format it.
    Then make sure you set the Boot flag on that partition, and it's not set on the Recovery partition.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice