1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot error "Disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rickiz, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickiz

rickiz Thread Starter

My currently using WD 80gb SATA HDD... I buy near half year d...
    My pc recently always occur the error when booting...
    "Disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del to restart"
    is it my HDD problem? or...

plz help... ty^^

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy rickiz ! :)

Welcome to TSG! (y)

1 - Have you tried a different IDE cable?
    If not give it a go and do a repair if needed again!

2 - You may have a corrupt MBR (master boot record)!! You will need to reformat and do Fdisk /mbr to delete the master boot record!! Save all data first as this will not allow you to access any of your data as all file location addresses are located in the MBR!!

3 - Your harddrive may have a bad sector get a zerofill tool(low level formatting tool)!! This will rewrite you HD's sectors putting them back to factory spec's!! Maxtors is called Maxblast you can get it from thier site!!

4 - or it could be a defective drive, but most read errors are due ot corrupt MBR or a bad sector!!

HTH

3. rickiz

rickiz Thread Starter

ty for ur reply:)
    I will try it later... then reply u..
    About the format disk... recently me only format my HDD C: and install window XP sp2... the problem still occur... is it need to format all the partition inside my HDD?? bcuz I hv 3 partition.. C: D: E:
    C: use to install OS...

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    No. You can partition it with up to 4 primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one secondary partition (I think).

One and a half years is a bit short to die on you, under most circumstances.

Was there any changes or upgrades done to your computer (hardware or software) before this started?

5. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Yes you are correct techkid.

6. rickiz

rickiz Thread Starter

hmm:rolleyes: .. upgrades should be din hv any...
    last week i juz plug in my old HDD 15gb IDE...
    I am a newbie in h/w thing... so i try to format the old HDD in my window... but canot... pop up msg.. says the old HDD are currently using... blablabla..
    So I use Windows CD to format and it directly install window for me..
    the old HDD i juz wan to use as a extra storage...
    Now i hv two OS in each HDD rite... the problem mayb start occur since now... when i booting up.. sometimes is boots my old HDD window... my new HDD OS canot boot..
    complicated problem occur... so i pulg out my old HDD...
    after all this mess thing happen... the currently problem always occur d... i noe most propably i screw it up....:rolleyes:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice