1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot failure and squeaking noise on new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsheehan, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tsheehan

tsheehan Thread Starter

I recently got an Edge Z40 from Velocity Micro with the following components:

PSU 700 Watt Velocity Micro® Power Supply

Motherboard Asus® P8Z77-V LK Intel® Z77 based chipset, ATX Motherboard

Processor Intel® Core™i5-2500K processor, quad 3.30GHz cores, Hyperclocked to 4.0GHz

RAM 8GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Memory (4x2GB)

Graphics 1GB eVGA™NVIDIA® GTX650 GDDR5 video card (GeForce GTX 600 series)

HDD 1TB 7200rpm SATA 300 w/NCQ

At first I thought there was something wrong with it because my monitor did not detect it, but that was in fact because I had connected the monitor to the motherboard rather than the graphics card.

Now, after a few days of normal usage (no problems or noises whatsoever), it will not boot.
    Turned on my surge protector and then the computer one morning and the LEDs inside the case light up and the computer immediately started making a high-pitched sound that I can only describe as the squeal a balloon makes when you stretch the neck and let air out. After a few seconds the computer shut down and stopped trying to boot. After that I think I pressed the power button a few times and the computer tried a few times, unsuccessfully, to boot, behaving the same way, but for shorter and shorter lengths of time. i.e. it would squeak less, and stop booting much more quickly. Now each time I try to turn it on, it squeaks for only a fraction of a second before stopping.

To try and diagnose the problem, I took the hard drive out of the case, and verified that the sound was not coming from there. I removed and turned all the fans to make sure there was nothing blocking them, or forcing them to squeak, all the capacitors on the mobo look fine, and nothing smells burnt.

My main suspect is the power supply, since one time that I tried turning it on, I immediately turned of the surge protector and then rocker on the PSU and then unplugged the power supply for good measure, and the squeaking continued for a second or two afterwards.

Thank you for any help you can provide in resolving this issue! :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd be picking up the phone and calling Velocity Micro, such a noise from a computer is usually not a good thing and it's also the reason why new systems come with warranties.

3. tsheehan

tsheehan Thread Starter

my return and repair warranty isn't valid cuz i'm overseas, wish i'd have known sooner. just hoping to be able to fix it myself now

4. replay

replay

sounds like a capacitor squeel from the power supply..........try another

5. tsheehan

tsheehan Thread Starter

took out the power supply and opened it up, the sound is definitely coming from there. gonna try ordering an Antec TruePower 650 and seeing if that'll work. will reply with results when it arrives (international shipping)

6. dai

dai

antec not recommended

corsair tx.hx.ax models only

seasonic

thermaltake tough power series

xfx

7. replay

replay

say what?????

8. tsheehan

tsheehan Thread Starter

The tp650 is made by seasonic. bit-tech reviews place the antec tp650 at the top of the mid range PSUs for value, stability, features, and efficiency. However they're out of stock on most sites, or don't ship internationally, so i'm looking for something else, maybe the ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENP550AWT B 550W.

but before i do, was wondering what you all thought of this:
    tried turning on the PSU, only connecting it to the mobo, cpu, ram, and a chassis fan. the squealing was no longer brief, it continued for any number of seconds before stopping momentarily and starting again. turned it off and tried again with the PSU in. but the squeak, like before, lasts a fraction of a second and does not return until i completely power off the PSU, wait a few seconds, and try again. also, when the PSU is powered on (but not the rest of the computer) it emits a faint and extremely high pitch, that you can only detect from up close. is this normal or also a symptom of a broken PSU?

My current hypothesis is that the power supply works, but to such a small degree that it can only trudge for a few seconds with the CPU, mobo, and RAM, and gives up when the GPU is added to that. If so, is there any way to repair the PSU? like replacing a faulty capacitor or something? or is it better and safer to pay the extra buck and replace it with a more reliable one?

9. replay

replay

i would not buy enermax.......... antec,thermaltake and corsair are the top 3 i usually buy
    also i would return the other psu to a family member in the usa and have it replaced under warranty!!

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No such noise, or any noise, is normal for a power supply. Any noise is bad and a sign of failure. A repair should not be attempted unless you are training in such electronics, and to be honest no one really repairs power supplies. I don't think for a gaming system I would go with anything less the 600 watts. The 650 Watt version of that Enermax powersupply would be a good choice, those particular models are good units, some of the other Enermax units are not quite as good though.

11. dai

dai

antec used to be top of the makers,then they went down the cheap component road

they have gone back to quality,but until they show they are staying there i don't recommend them

12. tsheehan

tsheehan Thread Starter

unless anyone can find a site where they're not out of stock, and ship to APO/FPO for a reasonable price i'm probably gonna go with the Rosewill CAPSTONE 650W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

gonna see if a buddy can lend me a working PSU to test with my system first, just in case.

edit: or ship to Belgium at a reasonable price for that matter.

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

14. dai

dai

look for one from germany or the uk

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Capstone 650 actually has pretty good reviews.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice