1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot failure. put boot disc in a: drive ??????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by garyginaz, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

Hello All,

I just replaced the power supply in an old tower with Windows XP and it is asking to boot from the A: drive floppy. All cabling seems to be installed correctly but I don't know how to get it to boot off the hard drive. The PC has been unplugged for about 2 months and I have no idea if the MB or HD were lost when the PS went out.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

2. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Your bios tells the computer what sequence it should access to boot your computer.

Normally, the sequence is
    a) Floppy
    b) Hard Drive
    c) CD
    If the floppy drive is empty, it should look to b)

Pressing F1 at startup will access your bios and if my memory serves me correct, the sequence is located under "Boot"

It is possible your bios is corrupted and may require an update. Reinstall a new bios even if your computer says it has that version already.

3. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

When you said the cables were correct, I had assumed the jumpers were correct too.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If all that was done was changing the power supply then everything should work properly, I bet it is a loose cable that is not seated properly or possibly backwards on a connection. Try going into BIOS and turning-off the floppy drive and save and exit.

5. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

Hitting F1 at startup does not stop startup. The start up ends right after with a A: drive error. Am I doing something wrong?? The cables have all been checked. I'm getting ready to dropkick the turd. The big problem is that our wireless router uses this pc as the primary. now we just got a new laptop and are unable to get on line with it.

6. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Seems your floppy is preventing access to the hard drive.

Have you tried booting from a CD...like Windows XP or Norton's Recovery Disk?

7. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

No I havent. can't find my xp disc. I have a Nortons 2005 disc here but i haven't tried it yet.
    here goes nothing

8. The Hound

The Hound

An HP Vectra...what vintage? The last Vectra manual I saw had DIP switch settings for the super VGA video....If that applies, there are a few more things on that motherboard which might be disturbed...

Leaving an old tower unplugged for extended periods probably affected the bios settings--

9. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

Hello, the pc I am ready to kick is an old slot A FIC SD11 with 650 AMD. The PC was unplugged for a couple of months bacause I got frustrated after diagnosing the cd rom problem which turned out to be full of candy rapers and round foam Nerf bullets. I put in a new cd/dvd rom yesterday and found a dead power supply. Today after putting in a new PS the start up sequence could not get by a Floppy drive error. After remembering the first issue with the cd rom I found 3 more Nerf foam discs jamed in the floppy( my 5 year old) All the cables have been chacked, no jumpers changed, and still stuck at floppy during start up. It also shows the master and slave undetected as it starts. Im I just totaly screwed or can the bios be reloaded?

10. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

The question may be how to install the new bios if it is only possible to boot from the floppy?

Here are some thoughts. I have never done this, so some of this is conjecture.

Windows can be put on a floppy from which the computer can be booted.

Another computer can download the relevant bios which is put on another floppy and then used to install the bios.

11. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

Any ideas how I can get this done??

12. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

LOL Kids will be kids. :) :)

I am wondering if your floppy drive is damaged? Either from putting the nerf bullets in or taking them out.

Would try the previous post first. If that doesn't work, you may try swapping floppy drives.

13. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

I put a new cd/dvd it it because it cam apart during the operation. I will now change out the floppy. Back in 2

14. Body&Spirit

Body&Spirit

Getting a bit out of my league here, but for now try creating an MS-dos startup disk to see if it boots from it.

On another computer put a floppy in the drive.

Open My Computer
    Right click the floppy drive
    Choose format
    Tick "Create an MS-DOS startup disk"
    Click Start

Tell me what happens.

15. garyginaz

garyginaz Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!!! Time to play in the pool and enjoy a few cold ones.. 114 in Phoenix but it's perfect butt soaking weather.:eek:

Thanks Again. I update soon.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice