1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debodun, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

My almost 6 year old system finally gave up the ghost. When I tried to power up, it just wouldn't boot. I couldn't get it to boot even by putting the recovery disk in the floppy drive. I had someone look at it and he said it was hard drive failure. I asked what could cause this and he just shrugged and said that the reader was crashing onto the disk surface. He said there was a possiblilty the some data could be recovered, though if I wanted to pay him $200 to do it when I bought a new system.

A local mom & pop computer store said if I turned over my old compuyer to them, they would do a data transfer for free. I am dubious about turning over the system if there's recoverable data on it. It might contain passwords and other information that I wouldn't want to be accessed.

So I want to know what would cause a hard drive failure and what about giving up the old CPU to the computer store?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

If you are going to purchase a new system and they will take the old one for free, give it to them minus the hard drive.

3. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

it failed at its expected time. harddrives like cars if taken care of some will only last as long as 150000 miles and some will go 250000+ miles just depends on engineering and care of the person operating it

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Really after six years you want to know why it failed? Six years is more than most drives will last. In the last few years with hd prices coming so far down, quality has been cut. An old drive from the early 90's might last that long or longer, however a new one will not.

Consider yourself lucky to have gotten that much use out of the drive.

5. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i had one one fail after 6 months use.

6. Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek

No hard drive should last less than 1 year. Even with cuts in quality if you go with a good company and make sure you working with a good batch (not a death star), I mean Desk Star. Luckily those are no longer made.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice