1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot failures, faulty hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Warlord Jimmy, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlord Jimmy

Warlord Jimmy Thread Starter

Hey,

A few months back I built myself a new PC and everything was working great for a month or so, no problems at all. However for the past few weeks I have been having trouble with (I assume) my hard drive and getting it to boot my OS (Win7 x64).

Heres what happens: I power up my PC and it goes through the "Asus Express Gate" and other "BIOS stuff" - I notice that my HDD doesnt appear in the Sata device list on the next screen it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." So I restart and hit [Delete] to check my Boot Devices in the BIOS. My Samsung HDD does not appear anywhere as if it was disconnected. I open up the case to check the SATA and Power connectors which are all seated firmly in their sockets.

The first time this happened I "solved" the problem by plugging the HDD into a different SATA port on my MB. It booted up Windows fine for a couple of days but then the same thing happened again, and again I tried a different SATA port with the same results. I have been having this problem for around 2 months now and recently when I have tried reseating the SATA connector in a different port and rebooting it is not working right away and I have to try multiple ports with much rebooting in order to get it to work.

I have tried using the hard drives from my old PC which work fine and I was able to boot up Win XP. I checked all my drivers were up to date - which they were. So I was wondering whether any of you wonderful peoples had any ideas about what may be causing this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it. I suspect that I have a faulty hard drive but I'd like to try whatever I can before returning it...

Thank you for reading, any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Jimmy :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice