1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot fine - Screen goes blank periodically then into safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tonilaw51, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonilaw51

tonilaw51 Thread Starter

I have an eMachine -T3304 running on XP. The screen keeps going black and then open in safe mode. This has been happening periodically, could be hours after boot up or could be right after. Today it's blinking off and on every few minutes. I replaced the monitor thinking that was the problem, but no change. HELP! Thank you

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+, x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 734 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 90985 MB, Free - 51278 MB; D: Total - 4399 MB, Free - 2778 MB;
    Motherboard: First International Computer, Inc., K8MC51G, PCB 1.x, C566186233
    Antivirus: System Shield, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. ntlgnce

ntlgnce

Sounds liek you have an overheating issue. When is the last time you cleaned out your fans? Regooed the processor?

If thats not the cause, then I would say its probably a virus or malware, or the power supply is on its way out.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It is not possible for a running machine to go from normal to Safe Mode, so please describe what you mean by that.

Heat is very possible.

4. tonilaw51

tonilaw51 Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help. I have gotten in and blown the dust out. I have not ideas what regooing the processor is. It may be possible it is overheating, but it does it even after it's been totally turned off overnight.

It boots up fine. After a while, sometimes a few minutes and sometimes a few hours, the screen will go black and then a few seconds later the machine will come back in safe mode. After a couple minutes the screen will go black and then it will come back in normal mode.

I am taking it in next week to be checked out. Thank you for all the suggestions. It sounds like something I can't do on my own.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice