1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot-Freeze on logo screeen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nkorppi, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkorppi

nkorppi Thread Starter

Hello!

My problem (with a FS Amilo A1630 laptop) is as follows:

Originally the computer repeatedly restarted, until I tweaked the option of 'no restarts when fatal system errors occur'. I once saw a 'machine check exception'- message in safe mode aswell. Now, upon startup, the computer always freezes (the scrolling bar on the logo screen simply stops moving). I could get into safe mode, and I tried various things... (system restore etc didn't work).

I was foolish enough to try a repair install of XP. At the end of the installation, after the restart, it still freezes at the scrolling bar! What's more, Safe mode displays a message that the installation can't be completed in safe mode and the computer will be restarted. So safe mode is lost!

I have tried the following to no avail: fixboot, fixmbr, chkdsk /p in recovery console, memtest in safe mode, and a bios flash update. Needless to say, 'previous working settings' do not work. In safe mode, all devices appeared to be in order, and in the recovery console, all folders seem to be in place.

1. Is there any way to get safe mode back or force the repair installation to finish?
    2. How could I backup files, before trying a format? (I only have a dvd-rw drive.) Or is a format wise at all -- will it perhaps freeze again with that installation?
    3. Do you suspect it to be a registry problem or a hardware issue?
    4. Any other hints?

Thanks a lot.

Nick

2. nkorppi

nkorppi Thread Starter

Could anyone help? Please...

Thank you so much.

Nick

3. natcom

natcom

I suspect a hardware problem but it can also be a software issue usually related to drivers tried rebooting the machine with most hardware devices disable basically just boot from your hard drive unplug any CD-ROM extra hard drive or network card if the network is integrated with the motherboard you most disable it within the Bios if you have a Sata drive make sure you install the serial ATA drivers usually pressing F6 while doing a repair installation also if you have a USB keyboard and mouse tried without it just to see if it will go pass that screen for software troubleshooting this particular issue you can try the following click on start run type Msconfig and put a check on diagnostic startup if that does not work go back into safe mode right-click my computer click manage click the plus sign next to the event viewer highlights system write down any error's usually the event ID and source of the error is what I need to do further troubleshooting

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice