1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot from Atapi ROM

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JamesE, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

Every now and then my PC (WinXP, Soltek MB) will pause at boot up after showing the two optical devices (first is a CDRW, second is a DVDRW) with the message after identifying the two optical drives "Boot from atapi ROM". Within a second or two it continues to boot up and everything seems normal EXCEPT when you push the DVD drive button, although its light comes on the drawer does not open! A re-start has always cured it. Consulting the various items in XP tellls me the "device is working normally".

Any ideas?

2. norton850

norton850

Do you always get the boot from atapi ROM message or only when there is a problem? Check the connections to both of your optical drives. What is the boot order in BIOS?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Tell us something about the system. The ATAPI ROM sounds like a secondary disk controller is installed.

4. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

I only get the message when there is a problem. Boot order is CDROM - HDD - Floppy. No extra disc controllers added - standard Soltek SL-75KAV (VIA Apollo KT133A series). All connections are good. One gets this message, if I remember aright, when one puts a CD OS in, such as a re-install or new install and one hits any key to do it. In case you ask - no, there are no discs in the drives!

I suspect an error in the DVD drive - something makes the bios think there is a disc in there.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would like you to run Belarc and then copy and paste everything under Drives, this will tell us what is what with anything pertaining to how many IDE cables etc, or at least it should.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit = key code for Windows
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

6. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

Belarc result:
    123.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    52.77 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-48125S [CD-ROM drive]
    SONY DVD RW DRU-510A [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IC35L040AVVN07-0 [Hard drive] (41.17 GB) -- drive 1, s/n VNP202B2J0H7MF, rev VA2OAG0A, SMART Status: Healthy
    Maxtor 6Y080L0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y217VJSE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy

7. norton850

norton850

What happens if in BIOS you remove the CD drive from the boot order?

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Good now if you are trying to use a DVD that is bootable this has to be the first one on the list = SONY DVD RW DRU-510A [CD-ROM drive] = so move this one up to the top.

9. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

No, I am not trying to boot from DVD. I am just booting up normally but on the odd occasion when I get this message during boot-up then the DVD drive does not work (at least it lights up but the drawer doesn't open) I was rather hoping someone had met this before and would recognise it!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/497743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice