1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot From CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mike M, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike M

Mike M Guest Thread Starter

Hi for some reason my computer does not boot from CD, i have enabled it in the bios and the cd is bootable

2. qldit

qldit

G'day Mike, these things happen, what are you trying to do?
    (what bootable CD are you trying and have your tried others?)
    qldit.

3. Mike M

im trying to install windows 2000 and i have tried other bootable cds they work on the other computers except this 1 for some reason

4. qldit

qldit

G'day Mike, you can use a floppy image to boot and handover to the CDROM which is a work-around.
    One I often use is the Madboot floppy disk which can be made from this image.
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/345398

You can sort out why your BIOS is playing hard to get another time, this floppy is extremely useful, be careful with some of the tools on it.

Cheers, qldit.

5. Mike M

i do not have a floppy drive

6. qldit

qldit

That makes it slightly difficult!
    Check that your BIOS is set to, or to detect a CDROM this is usually the first BIOS page,
    (it may not be set there) also check your boot order is CDROM before the IDE, ensure you "save and exit" .

Once the machine has an operating system loaded it does not need the have the CDROM BIOS set that way because an atapi driver will be loaded in the initial boot stage.

If the machine is a desktop I always fit a floppy drive, you dont need this capability until you need it!! (And then by golly you do!!)

qldit.

7. Mike M

on the boot sequence i changed it to cd rom only and still dosnt boot from cd

8. qldit

qldit

Yes, but you are referring to the boot order there which is what you need.

But you also need the BIOS to know that there is a CDROM fitted and that will provide an ability for the CDROM to boot.

The first page of the BIOS usually has a table where the hard drive parameters can be set, most likely this would be in an AUTO kind of mode and involve the primary master, which would likely be the hard drive case.

The CDrom however may need to be manually set to CDROM and would likely be on the secondary system, either primary or slave.
    If this is not set it will cause your problem.
    Sometimes setting all positions to AUTO will help but boot times may be increased by the system looking for non-existant devices.

Chances are your secondary IDE may not even be enabled.

I have no idea what your system is so can't help apart from that.

qldit.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Have you tried that particular CD drive with any other media to make sure that it is operable?

10. Mike M

igot it working the cd room wasnt set in the bios

11. qldit

qldit

Well Done Mike!
    You get the Cewpie Doll!
    Cheers, qldit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice