Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot From CD

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  qldit 
#1 ·
Hi for some reason my computer does not boot from CD, i have enabled it in the bios and the cd is bootable

#2 ·
G'day Mike, these things happen, what are you trying to do?
(what bootable CD are you trying and have your tried others?)
qldit.

#4 ·
G'day Mike, you can use a floppy image to boot and handover to the CDROM which is a work-around.
One I often use is the Madboot floppy disk which can be made from this image.
http://www.tucows.com/preview/345398

You can sort out why your BIOS is playing hard to get another time, this floppy is extremely useful, be careful with some of the tools on it.

Cheers, qldit.

#6 ·
That makes it slightly difficult!
Check that your BIOS is set to, or to detect a CDROM this is usually the first BIOS page,
(it may not be set there) also check your boot order is CDROM before the IDE, ensure you "save and exit" .

Once the machine has an operating system loaded it does not need the have the CDROM BIOS set that way because an atapi driver will be loaded in the initial boot stage.

If the machine is a desktop I always fit a floppy drive, you dont need this capability until you need it!! (And then by golly you do!!)

qldit.

#8 ·
Yes, but you are referring to the boot order there which is what you need.

But you also need the BIOS to know that there is a CDROM fitted and that will provide an ability for the CDROM to boot.

The first page of the BIOS usually has a table where the hard drive parameters can be set, most likely this would be in an AUTO kind of mode and involve the primary master, which would likely be the hard drive case.

The CDrom however may need to be manually set to CDROM and would likely be on the secondary system, either primary or slave.
If this is not set it will cause your problem.
Sometimes setting all positions to AUTO will help but boot times may be increased by the system looking for non-existant devices.

Chances are your secondary IDE may not even be enabled.

I have no idea what your system is so can't help apart from that.

qldit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.