1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot from cdrom

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hackedsmurf, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hackedsmurf

hackedsmurf Thread Starter

im trying to install windows xp pro into my laptop. its a compaq presario 1200 and what i wanna do is install it from the boot so what i did was go into the bios and change the boot to cdrom but the computer wont boot from the cdrom for some reason im trying to figure out so if u can help me that would be great

2. Ktsmom02

Ktsmom02

Not sure why your laptop won't boot from the CDROM, but when I installed Windows XP myself on my laptop I had to boot from the CD to install it.

Do you want to ALWAYS boot from the CD, or just to install Windows XP? If just to install XP, change the BIOS back.

Insert the CD, then reboot the laptop. You should get an option to "click any key to boot from CD" after the BIOS runs its course. Once you click on any key, the installation should run automatically.

This is what worked for me.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Just to be sure, are you installing from an original Microsoft XP Pro CD or is it a copy?

4. hackedsmurf

hackedsmurf Thread Starter

its a copy of the original cd but when i reinstalled xp on my other computer it worked fine just for some reason it dont wanna boot from the cd rom with the laptop

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Sorry but we don't allow these types of posts here at TSG. Installing the same copy of Windows XP on two PCs is unfortunately illegal. This thread is closed unless I've misinterpreted what your trying to do. Sorry .......

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice