1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot Hangup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Daemori, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daemori

Daemori Thread Starter

Hello All, I have a Gateway Desktop that has been booting fine with my Bios(?) using the C: HDD as the boot drive#1 with my 1.44 floppy as source #2. I have 2 USB 2 ports on the front of my computer.one is directly connected to a WD 750 GB My Book HDD, the other is connected to a 4 port USB2 Hub that has 2 2.0 TB WD My Book Essential HDDs. With everything plugged in my start screen stops at the F10 Boot Menu/F2 Bios screen and goes no further. If I have only the 750GB HDD plugged in it boots fine. That's the setup I've had for years. I have been experiencing this problem for the past two weeks since I installed the 2 2.0 TB HDDs. I have disabled the WD SmartWare that installed with the 2 2.0 TB HDDs as it was constantly using 248000 mb of memory. Can I change a setting to keep all of the drives physically hooked up and boot from C: without the computer stopping on the "Gateway Boot Screen"?

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron

2. warrior19

warrior19

Try going into BIOS and look for Legacy USB Support . Set it Disabled.

Also try looking for BOOT order and ensure the C:\ drive is the top/first item in the boot priority. Move USB down to the end perhaps. Don't forget to SAVE SETTINGS AND EXIT in BIOS.

3. Daemori

Daemori Thread Starter

Thanks Warrior.

Is there a way to remove drives from the boot priority? In the BIOS the drives are listed by serial number(?) instead of their location. Is there a simple way to find out which drive is which? Alsooo, what about drive auto-detect enable vs disable? Might this apply to my situation? Thanks for your time and answers Warrior!

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think the problem is the Hub.
    When the BIOS scans the system for "other devices" it gets confused because there are two drives attached to the one USB port.
    Try removing the search for other boot devices from the BIOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice