1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot.ini file for Triple Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Paul Nagel, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel Thread Starter

Have a computer setup with 2 hard drives, a 30g and 40g. I have Win98se and W2Kpro on the 40g as dual boot. On the 30g, i have WinXPpro as a stand alone installation. I would like to modify the boot.ini file to include the option for the XP installation on the 30g drive. It currently is as follows:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98SE"

Could someone offer the needed addition to include XP on the other drive in the boot options please. Your help would be much appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel Thread Starter

Thanks BrianF i will try your link and ideas. I currently pick which Hd in the bios if i want to go to the 98/2k drive. Have tried a few boot.ini mods with no positive results. I know if i had installed XP with the other HD hooked up, it could have gotten a triple boot option, but doing it manually seems a little more involved. I saw a guy on TechTv last week or so that had a system setup with i believe it was 38 operating systems installed. If he can get that many to work, i should be able to get 3!

4. vijayr

vijayr

Hi,

i have a different answer to your question ,
    i mean you can boot 3 or more opertaing systems using any third party boot managers

i have four operating systems:
    winme
    winxp
    redhat7 linux
    solaris 8

i use "XOSL - extended operating system loader"

you can also use pqmagic's boot loader

may be theese will help ,
    the boot loaders are better and
    it is also very slick to look at than the drab dos look

hope this helped??

vij

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice